I Forge Iron

My First Attempt at Knife Making

billp

This is my first try at making a knife. This was made from a 1 1/4 x 1/8 piece of hot rolled steel that I used a hand grinder to make. I started with a 60 grid disk and moved to a 120 grid to finish grinding. Then I used my fine grinder I use to sharpen lknifes with to finish off the shape. Have been using a really fine sand paper to polish. The handle is made from oak scales and brass pins shaped with a belt sander and stained. The knife is 8 1/2 inchs long 3/4 at it's widest point and 1/8 thick with a 4 1/4 long blade.
I still need to work on the shaping of the blade a bit more and maybe even try heat treating it but not sure if I need to or not. All in all I'm kind of proud of it that is for a first time using what equipment I have. It is a bit heavy with a short handle but my hands are small and fits me fine. Made a sheath for it today so once I feel like I have finished the blade I'll carry it for a work knife. As I prefer a stright knife to a folder when working, never had a stright knife close up on me yet.
Any way I'm all fired up and have two more cut out ready to whip into shape. First chance I get will have to buy some better steel and try that.

post-7651-0-28520200-1316923402_thumb.jp

post-7651-0-02677900-1316923418_thumb.jp

Bill that looks like a great start for a first knife. Shows a lot of skill with wot tools you have. I think it is wonderful that you will put this knife to work and see just how it does for you. Not alot of folks know that you can get the edge on a mild steel knife really sharp. Keep an eye on how the edge retains its sharp while you use it. Without a good amount of carbon steel just does not hold an edge very long at all. General thoughs are that a steel with more than 50 points of carbon is lower amount to make a knife with. If your mild steel is 1018 it means it has 18 pts of carbon. If it is 1036, then 36 pts. Both of them under wot you look for for a blade. I think it is a great start to shape and work with mild steel to begin with. The only thing that can happen on the off side of that is that you may just make a real nice knife! But lit will be from mild steel, If I can make a suggestion. use the rest of your mild for other items and get right on some blade steel. Mild cannot be heat treated. Wotever it is is how it will remain. Nice start. More pics as you get more done.

Thinks Marksnagel

Thank you too Rich, I kind of knew the steel I was using was not a good material for knifes but if nothing else it would be good practice for the real thing. Not sure if the place I buy from have and blade quality steel but I did discover a few web sights where I can get what I need. I do appreciate your advice as part of the reason for posting is for advice, being a beginner at knifes. I have been blacksmithing for several years but this is my first attempt at knifes. Thanks again for your input it will help.
billp

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using old saw saw blades from my table saw and miter box saw is this a good steel to work with?

Also when grinding I put a few drops of 3-in-1 oil on the blade to help keep the temperature down, yes, no, or does not matter?
billp