I Forge Iron

One piece tomahawk

Forged this from one piece of leaf spring 3" wide by 9" long by 3/8" thick. Necked it down and drew out the handle first then directionally upset the lollipop shape in the swedge block and over the anvil horn. This was a great exercise in heavy dimensional change, very cool and very fun. It feels light and well balanced even though it's all solid, and it feels indestructible. Back spike and hook beard, glass breaker point on the end of the handle. Been thinking of leather riveted on for the handle, maybe micarta. I have lusted after one of Ryan Johnson's tacticool tomahawks for awhile, can't afford one so I made one for me.

309579_2354889322623_1561909122_2586477_

309579_2354889362624_1561909122_2586478_

309579_2354889402625_1561909122_2586479_

Sam removed his links at the remote site , there is nothing we can do about it

That IS a great dimentional change,Sam,right on!(Though i must admit to never being a fan of all-metal hatchets,and anything designated "tactical" immediately brings to mind the commerce stringing along the ignorant and the gullible,the reality-deprived masses desperate for any meaning...).
I'm afraid that i can't quite wrap my pea-brain around where all the wondrous mass came from!Was the spike split off the handle,or was the upset so obscenely huge as to birth forth the T-shape of the blade and the spike?!:)

Hi Sam,

I have a heavy duty mower blade (brand new) that I have been sketching tomahawks on for one of these one piece jobs. I'd be interested in hearing more details on the upsetting and drawing out processes.

-Derek

Btw, I watched Ryan Johnson demo at Quad State a couple of years ago. I've had pics of those hawks in my mind ever since. Plus, the history of tomahawks he shares during his demo is highly informative.

Leather washers would be my choice, some brass bolsters and end cap to contain them...that would be pretty. You can even dye the washers to make a pattern instead of using just brown or black (although I would stay muted in color, maybe brown black and olive)

Very nicely done.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Looks bombproof and has nice lines.....Wet shrunken rawhide for a handle would be gnarly...

Thanks Bruce. I like the paracord, cause if you need to you could unravel it and use it for binding.

Leather washers would be my choice, some brass bolsters and end cap to contain them...that would be pretty. You can even dye the washers to make a pattern instead of using just brown or black (although I would stay muted in color, maybe brown black and olive)

Very nicely done.

Phil

Stacked leather has an "old american" look to it, not really correct for a tactical style piece LOL

Great work, Sam! Looks sorta like an Estwing ax. A little paracord on the handle and you're set - would sell like hotcakes on the 'net if you called them "hand forged, tactical battle axe"...bet you could get $500 or more for one.

Thanks Hollis. I'll be picking up a couple estwing hatchets and giving them a regrind to see if I could sell those too. I got an idea for a heading/upsetting type tool to make these quicker and easier.

• 2 months later...