I Forge Iron

I've just about given up (but not completely smile.gif)trying to find that anvil "steal". You know. The anvil that you get for pennies on the dollar because someone didn't know or care what they had. Presently, I'm using an 18 inch piece of rail on it's end as an anvil. It works pretty well, but the surface area is just not that big. Now, I know I'm going to be told to go around my local scrap yards to see if I can find some bigger (and heavier) pieces of steel and that's a great idea. However, I have called every scrap yard around my county and the two adjacent counties and have been told by everyone that they do not sell to the public anymore due to liability issues. Yes, you guessed it I'm in a northern state with approximately 10,000 too many lawyers. So, as that is not an option (or so it seems), my next stop will be at a metal store looking for a piece of 4x4 or 5x5, around 6 inches long. I've got one close that sells hot rolled (A36) and cold rolled (1045 and 4140). My question to you gentlemen and gentle ladies is which would make a better anvil (i.e. harder face, etc...)? Also, in lieu of the fact that it seems I can't get any scrap in this hole that I live in, what other options are there for me to look for used steel, before plucking down cash for a mild steel? Thanks in advance.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/2583512909.html
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/2544511511.html
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/2557237445.html
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/2517001691.html

a couple might not be in the best shape but....the third one looks nice...I know yer a couple hours from pittsburgh, but sometime a short drive might be worth it....

Thanks, WmHorus. Those are some nice anvils and going to Pittsburgh isn't that bad of a haul for us. In my reality as it certainly is right now, the only one I think I could afford is the second one. The horn looks pretty damaged, but do you think that I could clean that up with a grinder? I'd probably grind the edges, too.

It's a Fisher so a quiet anvil but the horn has only a cap of steel over a cast iron "body". Grinding is not indicated. Do you use the horn that much? I have one anvil that has no horn that works well for me for the most part and I made my own stake anvil fro when I need the horn.

Will you be at Quad-State? A couple of years ago someone I know bought 30 anvils there---he had to go buy a big trailer to get them home.

LOL, bajajoaquin, my wife has the keys :) I figured I could get the gentleman down a bit, too.

Thomas, I'm primarily into bladesmithing so the horn isn't really that big of a deal. Thanks for the advice. as I definitely value your opinion in these matters. As for Quad state, I am bummed as I believe I will be out of state that weekend :( But, If I'm not, I'm there!

Rob

As high as gas is and as much time as you will have invested in looking for an ASO. You are just as well off to go buy one of those anvils. Just remember money talks. If not many people have shown interest in the anvil and you have cash, odds are you will get it cheaper. I do understand money is tight now days but, if you buy a good anvil it should last you a life time.

Just my thoughts.

Scott

Even though a London pattern anvil is nice a block of 1045 or 4140 would make a great anvil. If the price is not to bad I personally would look into buying a block of 1045 have a welder mount some type of lugs to lag bolt it to a stump or weld a large spike on the bottom and pre drill a hole in the stump and drive it in just like a old stump anvil. 1045 is a pretty simple tools steel. should not be hard to heat the block face up and quench to harden the block and maybe just temper in a oven around 400 d for a few hours. Would make a great anvil I think

Rob you have to ask yourself how much do you really want an anvil, English pattern that is as this qualifies as the definition of anvil to most folks.

Quad State is your best bet. There you will have an array of anvils to choose from and the best prices. Quad State is in your area and right around the corner.

http://www.sofablacksmiths.org/conference2011/2011index.htm

What it boils down to is how much you really want one. I'm not too proud that if need be I would be going door to door with a rake in my hand doing fall clean up for all the old ladies in the neighborhood and looking over my toys to decide which of them I can part with. Do I really need that pair or Rossignol downhill skis anymore? I love to fish but do I really need nine muskie rods? Why do I have two lawn tractors, can I live with just one?
You get the idea, if you really want to you can pony up the cash and just go do it.