I Forge Iron

rivet forge question

billp

I have question about what I'm told is a rivet forge. It was on four tube legs but I changed it over to a set of wheels on one end and stronger legs on the other. It has a small hand crank blower attached but a flat grate where you have your fire. I made the changes so I could use this forge when and or if I did shows or demo's and did not have access to electricity. I have attached a picture of how it looked looked a few days after I bought it.

The question I have is, would it be more be more beneficial to cut out the grate and put in a fire pot or just leave well enough alone. I would like to keep the orgional look intact as I did the legs to where I can put the orgional back on if I want. I never did like changing something old to be more modern as to me it distroyes a part of history. Which is the reason I did the legs like I did and kept the old ones. Nuts I know but, that is the reason for not putting in the fire pot unless it would make it a much better forge.

Oh I was told once to build up around the grate with fire clay to make a type of fire pot. I did that hit a bump the forge fliped on to one side and the whole clay fire pot fell out into a thousand pieces. So I prefer not to do that again as it was money down the drain.

So if anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate hearing them.
Thinks
billp

post-7651-0-10920400-1314583322_thumb.jp

post-7651-0-64395200-1314583511_thumb.jp

post-7651-0-11981900-1314638352_thumb.jp

post-7651-0-86381700-1314638367_thumb.jp

post-7651-0-65738900-1314649150_thumb.jp

Bill, that forge is almost identical to my shop forge. I also have a rivet forge, which is about 20"
diameter round forge and about 4" deep. The rivet forge is the one that I use for demos. My other one is too big to mess with moving in and out of the shop. I don't know if yours falls into the rivet forge, or not. But I wouldn't think so.:)

My main forge flipped over, onto a pile of scrap on the firepot lined with fire cement (after winter) Tractor Supply had their kiln/coal heater liner cement on sale for $1 a tub. (Roughly a pound) I bought 6 of them to use, but their was probably 20. Short of it is I used the stuff exactly as the instructions said, and when it flipped, all it did was knock off a few of the little flecks that were made when I smoothed the cement with my fingers. As an idea, if you can find a cast iron drain, or a cast iron pipe main line reducer, cut it off with a band saw, and center the flared part around the tuyere, and line underneath it with fire cement, or clay.

Hay Bilp I have the same cast Iron forge I am keeping it for demos to ,though the firepot is broken @ the bottom of pot
the firpot is small to SO my fix is to cut the bottom of an Lg Ox tank off , remove old cast Iron firepot & braze on Ox tank piece
& make new ash dump -- Now you can use water to control youre fire & not worry about cast firepot problim and still look old :<)
Hope this Idea helps

Cut out and put in a new firepot---why bother to use an old forge if you are going to do that? Just get a piece of sheet metal with the sides bent up and go with that!

I found a door from a WWII jig borer that had the long sides bent up 4" and a round hole that I cut to fit a 1930's banjo rear end axle cover. I made some removable cross pieces so I can control the fire area or take them out and slide long stock right through the hot spot. My total cost for materials was under US$5 and it's been my primary solid fuel forge for about 15 years now.

Ok I posted new pictures of the rivit forge plus the forge I built that is now in my shop. I originally made the shop forge to roll and use in demo's but now with the new side draft hood (also pictured) it goes nowhere. The rivit forge bottom is 23" x 17" x 2" with no fire pot only the new grate.

I want to know is it worth the trouble to cut and mount a fire pot in this forge or would it be better to just leave well enough alone. I don't want to cut for two reasons, one it's about 3/4 to 1 inch thick and two I really don't like changing the orgional look. As I wuold have to change the routing of the blower too it will be a job. But if it would make it a better forge I can and will do it I'm not afraide of the work, but if it's not needed why bother. So what do you all think.

Thank you to all who have responded it does help thanks again
billp