I Forge Iron

Tomahawk handle... I need help

Hi I'm new to blacksmithing with only one tomahawk and a couple hooks and leaves under my belt. I've been trying to make a tomahawk handle that works well and doesn't crack. I'm fairly sure the problem is the wood as it is just a section of a branch I found. I want to know if there is a specific wood that any of you prefer, where I can get it, how I should prepare it and how I can attach it to the tomahawk. Thank you for any and all replies they are all appreciated :D .

Phoenix,

Original equipage tomahawk makers only had the wood avaialble local to where they were. No kiln dried hickory or home cheapo if you get my drift. Alder and most scrub bushes will supply a reasonable material for a handle. Whittle or draw the handle to fit your forged eye. Oval (eye) is better than square when working in the field because you can always whittle down a reasonable oval with a knife or a rock. Simple is a good thing.

Drift your eye in an hour glass shape of sorts. It does not have to be perfect just servicable and the objective is to have the figure 8 hour glass shape. Anything bigger on the top than the bottom will work. After you fit the handle into the eye use some magic...antifreeze. It will swell the wood and never dry out. Quick and dirty 21 st century solution. Water, wedges etc will usually crack but that was the only way in the old days.

Both methods work well but keep in mind, it's a weapon not a show piece and it will fail in service when used judically. Your ability to service\repair the weapon in the field (quickly) is part of the big picture. Simple is much better than complicated, for you the intended end user, Be guide accordingly. Good luck.

Peter

Hickory and white ash are good, so is Osage (a.k.a. hedge, bois d'arc or bodark). You can find these woods yourself in the wild or at a lumber yard, or buy commercially made handles online. The user handles (as opposed to pretty, more fragile stuff like figured maple) are pretty cheap. Dunlap Woodcrafts has good handles. If you're going to make your own, a draw knife is a very handy tool. Since you're a blacksmith, you can make your own. :)

As for attaching the head to the handle, tomahawk eyes typically are tapered slightly, from larger at the top to smaller at the bottom. You taper the handle so it'll drop into the eye, but can't drop all the way through. That prevents it from flying off the end of the handle during use. Friction keeps it from sliding down the handle, though it may occasionally do that anyway. Just slide it back on.

I'm sorry if you are not in North America as most of the suggestions are pretty specific to that continent.

If you are in China I would suggest white wax wood.

In Europe: ash

Africa: ?

South America: ? (Though I might try Ipe)

One method might be to find broken axe or pickaxe handles and re-shape them to fit your hawk.

For my camping hatchet I just drifted the eye for a hammer handle when I made it as they are easier and cheaper for me to find locally.

Please edit your profile to put your general location in so this sort of question that is LOCATION specific can be correctly answered.

Straight, tight grain and properly dried trumps species. If the pith is still in the handle, it is more likely to split. Air dried may be better than kiln dried (some will argue that point). Whatever is local that is used for tool handles should work. Fruit and nut trees are frequently good if you can get straight grain. Anything used for bows is good.

If you give your general location, you will likely get better answers.

ron