I Forge Iron

Great grandfathers anvil

Hope the anvil pict loaded. Acquired this from a cousin, no charge. Great grandpa used it to make grapple anchors for his shrimp boats out of St Marks Florida. Apperance is dead ringer for Hay-Budden but can find no markings. A good friend-Jeff Mohr- says its probably 250-275lb, turn of the century cast base. Weld line noticable 1/2" from top of face
33 inches total length x 13 inches high.
Face is 5" wide, step is 2" wide horn is 10 1/2" face and heel make up the remaining length
Hardy hole is1 1/4" sq pritchel hole is 3/4"
Two apparent square tong holes are present in front and rear of base but are offset. Front hole is
1 1/4"x1"x1 1/2" deep. Bottom of base to top of hole is 5" Rear hole is 5/8"x5/8" sq x 1 1/2 " deep and top of hole is 2" from bottom of base.
My great grand pa died in 1970 at the age of 93.
Jeff says the anvil was well cared for and would make a good shop anvil as is.
It now resides in my shop and is my go-to anvil.

Does the underside of the base have the archtypical hourglass of the HB? (where the sides are brought down a bit proud of the center of the base---may be worn almost flat on old ones)

As a "using anvil" it may have been cleaned or or re-dressed several times in it's life and so lose it's markings.

Good for you! Your stand may need a little attention... :P The edges look a little worse for wear but I have seen MUCH worse. Just work around them for a year or so before you do anything to them. You may find that they are of no consequence to what you do. "Repairing" an anvil can cause more problems if you don't know what you are doing and then you will wish you had left it well enough alone. (not implying that you don't know how to make the repairs...) When do we get to see something forged on this treasure?

I'll get on the forging ASAP. Right now I'm doing a lot of steak turners for a friend. He's running for sherif and all the steak turners are donated and raffeled off to help with his campaign.

So, are you getting any "Get out of Jail Free" cards in return for the steak turners!??! ;)

No----much better! "Work past 10 pm and get a warning not a ticket" cards!

I ran long once and a neighbor called the cops on me; as soon as they told me the problem I shut *everything* down and apologized---then spent an hour discussing smithing and knifemaking till they got another call...

Actually my little brother has been on our county police force for 13 years and has been a captain the last 8 years or so and is a golfing buddy of the sheriff and since my wife and I live on 7 acres out in the woods on the back part of the county anyway we have no neighbor problems to speak of. Just plain blessed I reckon..

Willis "Hope the anvil pict loaded. Acquired this from a cousin, no charge. Great grandpa used it to make grapple anchors for his shrimp boats out of St Marks Florida. Apperance is dead ringer for Hay-Budden but can find no markings. A good friend-Jeff Mohr- says its probably 250-275lb, turn of the century cast base. Weld line noticable 1/2" from top of face
33 inches total length x 13 inches high.
Face is 5" wide, step is 2" wide horn is 10 1/2" face and heel make up the remaining length
Hardy hole is1 1/4" sq pritchel hole is 3/4"
Two apparent square tong holes are present in front and rear of base but are offset. Front hole is
1 1/4"x1"x1 1/2" deep. Bottom of base to top of hole is 5" Rear hole is 5/8"x5/8" sq x 1 1/2 " deep and top of hole is 2" from bottom of base.
My great grand pa died in 1970 at the age of 93.
Jeff says the anvil was well cared for and would make a good shop anvil as is.
It now resides in my shop and is my go-to anvil."

Wilis, I agree that it looks like an HB. My 25# has no Manufacturer's mark but does have the number on the front foot,starboard side. From your picture it looks to me like it is a later HB- tool steel top, welded at the waist to the wrought iron base.