I Forge Iron

My 1st Anvil (A Mankel)

So I have been a long time admirer of blacksmiths and decided it was time to give it a try. I have been into steel fabricating as a hobby for some time now but wanted to try working with steel in a more primal way. So after some searching on the internet I decided to start looking for an anvil. Well as luck would have it about one week into my search I found this pretty little Mankel Farriers anvil listed on Craigs list. I met the guy and he told me it was a 75 pounder. I thought it looked to be in very good condition and was surprised at how lively it was. It also came with a nice little 4 piece 3 legged stand. We agreed on a price of $125 and I took it home and weight it and was pleased to find out that it actually weighed 113 pounds (per my bathroom scale). What do you guys think? I think I got a pretty good deal. It did have some grinding on the face and horn that seemed a little sloppy to me so I cleaned it up with a flap disk on my grinder. It is now nice and flat. Now to go make a brake drum forge.

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0536-1.jpg

It is a excellent price for a large farrier pattern anvil and take apart stand. Looks like a good anvil too.

The only "downside" of this anvil is the long overhangs are designed to allow turning or bending of horse shoes, and if you decide to get into heavier work (over 1 inch stock) this anvil will not perform as well as a more block-like anvil. However for decorative work, that is more an "upside", while for blade making it won't matter.

Good score.

Phil

I really combed through the weeds for months to get my first anvil, and ended up driving for a day and spending a pretty penny for mine.

You look for a week and find a nearly new Mankel anvil with stand for $125?!?!? You're a jerk! :-)

Seriously...The course of events has favored you and put you ahead of the game. Search out the blueprints for a 55 forge, find an old metal drum and get to business.

Is there more to this story? Like you saved that guy & his family from cannibal alien space ninjas?
Man that's a great deal!

I do work as a Paramedic but to my knowledge I have never helped him or his family. I have saved a life or two in the 13 years I have been in EMS. Maybe Karma was being kind to me. If I see the cannibal alien space ninjas I am gonna run.