I Forge Iron

Forge in this weekend August 20 &21 2011

We are having a forge in this weekend for further details see http://blacksmithsgu...ial_events.html

Bring along any tools or books to sell if you wish, anyone who wants to bring along a musical instrument for a jamming session on the Saturday evening BBQ will be welcome.

If you are thinking of coming along, you will need a pass to get into Westpoint, so email me on courses@blacksmithsguild.com and I will send you an email with an attachment of the pass so you can download it and print one out,

In extreme circumstances and you can't do this you will have to inform the security on the gate who may let you in or they will have to contact myself to come down to guide you in. (this id due to another event being held on the showground)

There will be an opportunity to try your hand at forging some Pure Iron that will be brought down from Legg's rolling mill,

All are welcome, free camping on site, hopefully some blacksmithing goodies for sale or swap, and good company.

Edited by John B

If you want to see some good forged stuff, and live forging, some of our members will be participating at the Edenbridge and Oxted Show August 28th and 29th, well worth a visit, some of the UK's best blacksmiths will be competing there.

John, have a good weekend. I can't make it this time, I have a family wedding to go to. Hope to catch up with you at Edenbridge or the Dorset Show if you are there.

Greenbeast, the Edenbridge and Oxted Show will be a good gathering as there are live blacksmithing competitions and farrier comps as well. Bank Holiday Monday is probably the best day to go. Also there will be a large display of blacksmiths work for the static competitions. I am putting some pieces in the show. It will be the first time I have done the show since 2002.

Mick.

I can mow make the Saturday but will have to get up very early on Sunday as it is one of our open days at Combe Mill.

I have the pass from the news letter ready so Look forward to seeing you all there.

Mark.

Thats great, Don't forget to bring your bits to sell, see you Saturday.

This weekends Forge in proved to be the best yet, unfortunately I was not able to be there all the time, and so have not got many pictures to show of it. There were book sales, and tools sold also.

The completion of the facilities were well received, and tested.

The Saturday night barbecue with entertainment by Merv Allen and other members was greatly enjoyed, and the catering first class.

There were a lot of questions answered and problems sorted.

John Legg brought along a varied selection of Pure Iron for anyone who was not familiar with the material to try for themselves. This created a lot of interest and people were pleasantly surprised by how it worked, being forged at a higher heat than mild steel, but capable of being forged over a wide heat band allowing them to work for a longer time on each heat. With it being a superconductor, the heat transfers along the bar quite quickly, and so the use of good fitting tongs is usually necessary when forging it.

Leggs do import many different rolled sections to the USA both in mild and carbon steels as well as the Pure Iron.

They just treat the Pure Iron as another option for customers, and do not differentiate between products as all steel specs are available in the many different rolled sections they produce.

Currently they are getting a website together to feature Pure Iron and are actively looking for distributors for the US market, and will be promoting it as the acceptable replacement for Wrought Iron, and more easily available in many different sections than the alternative re rolled scrap that is being sold as real wrought iron, (maybe that should read real recycled wrought iron) and its purity is guaranteed unlike the alternative.

On reflection everyone enjoyed this weekend, and agreed we should carry on at least as an annual event, maybe combining the Guilds AGM, but still open to non guild members.

Here are a couple of the items demo'ed this weekend using the Pure Iron samples,

The owl was made by Rex Latham, post-816-0-79480800-1314048503_thumb.jpg post-816-0-67883600-1314048599_thumb.jpg

and this Rams head by Eddie Payne.post-816-0-86186900-1314048669_thumb.jpg

These other pictures are a few random shots of people just trying it for themselves and enjoying the experience.

post-816-0-41090700-1314048909_thumb.jpg post-816-0-87113600-1314048960_thumb.jpg post-816-0-54681300-1314049004_thumb.jpg post-816-0-44864700-1314049036_thumb.jpg post-816-0-85417800-1314049064_thumb.jpg

Sorry I have no more pictures to post.

Hope to see some more of you at the next get together.

John,looks like you all had a wonderful time,well done!Great space,great equipment(love the sight of that towering stack of coal sacks!),and i'm sure,the company was great too!

Please tell John Legg that i'd be very happy to distribute his product in Alaska's Western Interior!:)

But more seriously,many thanks to this man,who produces the real stuff for real forging,and to all you folks,who promote that forging,and keeping it alive and happening.