I Forge Iron

Royal Western Chief blower restored

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I too am trying to restore an older Canedy Otto Royal Western Chief, but I'm having trouble getting the collar off the shaft (that the handle attaches to).  Any thoughts?  I don't want to hammer too much on anything, as I know I would probably wind up busting the casting.

Thanks!post-8224-0-99443200-1364157686_thumb.jppost-8224-0-78097500-1364157705_thumb.jp

What did you do to keep the blasting grit out of the oil ports and exposed shaft ends?  Full disassembly and good cleaning after I hope.  That dust gets everywhere.  

Anyone know what material the non-metal gear in these is made out of?  The ones I have disassembled to repair have had some sort of wood/fiber gear that was so saturated with oil that I couldn't tell what the original material was.  

The non-metallic gear you are referring to is Phenolic which is a hard, dense material made by applying heat and pressure to layers of fabric, impregnated with a resin.  Phenolic has good machinability and toughness but unfortunately long term exposure to lubricating oil causes the resin to break down and results in the gear delaminating which renders the gear unserviceable.

Looks super! Only thing I would do now, is to have a local gent with a wood turning tool make you up a handle. I often use a long 3/8 inch bolt and modify that to make a new pin. You can cutomize the length of handle you prefer as well as the radius and design.

The handles seem to be the most overlooked item of a restoration. It is the most important in my opinion as that is the only portion you touch.

post-21170-0-53568300-1364474345_thumb.j

Hi,

I too am trying to restore an older Canedy Otto Royal Western Chief, but I'm having trouble getting the collar off the shaft (that the handle attaches to).  Any thoughts?  I don't want to hammer too much on anything, as I know I would probably wind up busting the casting.

Thanks!attachicon.gifIMAG0521.jpgattachicon.gifIMAG0522.jpg

Scuba, I just took mine apart a week ago to clean it up and get it working. The collar you point out is on a round shaft with a milled flat where the set screw should lock into. Might try some localized heat ( from a torch tip ) on the collar to expand and break the rust bond,  and tap it off?

Hi,

Thanks!attachicon.gifIMAG0521.jpgattachicon.gifIMAG0522.jpg

This part is normally a slip fit on the shaft so, at best, it is being held by surface rust or dried grease. Try shooting some penetraing oil into the bolt hole and give it a chance to work.  You can then make yourself a small slide hammer and gently tap the piece off the shaft.

• 1 year later...