I Forge Iron

who's got a steam hammer they want to sell me?

So here's my situation... I have a Phoenix power hammer, and no I did not pay $20,000 for it. It is the 170 lbs model, but before they went to the 6" plate frame. The control is no where near the self-contained hammers I worked with, but I primarily need a hammer for single blow operations, which it does ok. However, I need a little more oomph, and although I've never worked under a steam hammer, it seems the only option above 200 lbs. for single blows. Plus, from the videos I've seen they probably have better general forging control than the Phoenix. I also need a minimum of a 14" throat (to center of die); does anyone know if the 200/300 lbs Chambersburg utility hammer have this much throat.

For single blows you may wish to look at larger drop hammers or friction presses....or maybe even a faster acting (or very large) hydraulic press.
Hard to say as we do not know the application, but ....

As to the utility I have not found a spec sheet, but here are some comparable machines and a few photos for rough ideas.
If you need an exact 14" min then it appears that you need larger than a 300 weight.

What about this hammer?

300 lb. Chambersburg #3CH, pneu,4"x 8"upper die,16.5"str,14.5"thr,180SPM,'78, #57209

its on ebay for $25G

http://www.wheatlandmachine.com/Steam%20Hammer/Hammer.htm
200 utility

http://www.forgemagic.com/bsgview.php?photo=1861&cat=M&by=
200 hammer of Welder Jim

Ric

So here's my situation... I have a Phoenix power hammer, and no I did not pay $20,000 for it. It is the 170 lbs model, but before they went to the 6" plate frame. The control is no where near the self-contained hammers I worked with, but I primarily need a hammer for single blow operations, which it does ok. However, I need a little more oomph, and although I've never worked under a steam hammer, it seems the only option above 200 lbs. for single blows. Plus, from the videos I've seen they probably have better general forging control than the Phoenix. I also need a minimum of a 14" throat (to center of die); does anyone know if the 200/300 lbs Chambersburg utility hammer have this much throat.

If you are looking for a single blow only, why not build a single blow hammer to accommodate your needs. I think one of the biggest issues with the newer utility hammers is that they are over designed to try to do everything a blacksmith can imagine, when in reality, most of the work done on them is simple repetitious blows.

While I applaud the design pneumatics given modern technology, my guess is that most smiths who have the multitude of newer features on the utility hammers, probably use them less than 10% of the time, and use the hammer 90% of the time for basic hammering.

An air actuated treadle hammer would work quite nicely, and you could build it as large as you need.

JE

Jeff Funk built pretty much exactly what you're talking about, but not quite that big. Try giving him a call. You can find his buisness phone via the interweb just type in jeff funk bigsky montana. I had a question about wood block floors a couple years ago and he was very friendly. He also has a pretty big collection of hammers so maybe he'd be able to point you in the right direction. Take care, Matt

I would love just that (a hammer built for the single purpose of single blows, with adjustable intensity of that blow of course), but I have limited knowledge on pneumatics and put in 40-60 hrs a week just to keep up with the work I have. I would love to be able to find someone who has hammer building experience willing to build me a custom hammer to suit my needs. I remember seeing an ad on craigslist within the last year for some guy in CO building pneumatic hammers. Does anyone know who this is?

• 2 months later...

I would love just that (a hammer built for the single purpose of single blows, with adjustable intensity of that blow of course), but I have limited knowledge on pneumatics and put in 40-60 hrs a week just to keep up with the work I have. I would love to be able to find someone who has hammer building experience willing to build me a custom hammer to suit my needs. I remember seeing an ad on craigslist within the last year for some guy in CO building pneumatic hammers. Does anyone know who this is?

:D