I Forge Iron

Blacksmith Vice

mike60510

I have what I think is an old blacksmith vice complete with a hand rank and fan to stoke a fire. I don't have the original "firebox" that fits at the discharge of the fan (wish I did). The vice has no markings as to the manufacturer. It was my grandfathers and I have no idea how old it may be. I know he worked on the railroad but who knows where he got it from

But, my question is: The vice includes a short cylindrical section that is approximately 2" below the bottom of the clamping area. The cylindrical section is connected by gears to the vice crank. Through a slip mechanism on the vice crank, you can rotate the cylindrical section.

Does anyone know what the cylindrical section was used for

post-22538-0-68988300-1312567812_thumb.j

post-22538-0-46444200-1312567814_thumb.j

post-22538-0-29897100-1312567816_thumb.j

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! Now that is one cool looking vise! I don't recall ever seeing one just llike this one. I did notice that the top part of the handle is cracked, be careful with that part as it appears it won't take much to break it off. If it was mine I would repair it. Where are you located? Update your profile giving your location and we can possibly refer you to someone in your area that can help more. IFI is in 50 countries with thousands of members so it's a good chance a member is 'just around the corner'!

Thanks, I never noticed the crack in the upper part of the handle. Ill update my profile. I was referred to this site by someone in the Garage Journal forum as a place that may be able to find out a little more information about my vice. Ill pull it out and take some better photos and post it in the vice forum.