I Forge Iron

Sanding belt help

jfifft

I hope this is the correct area to post this.
I have some 2" x 72" sanding and buffing belts that have never been used and I noticed the seams are breaking. Some are the expensive scotchbrite type (not 3M) type.
It would seem (no pun) one could re tape them or something.

Has anyone done this before or know what to use?

Thanks in advance.

If you have belts that are coming apart at the seams, Don't try to use them, unless you are into selfmutilation. :blink: Those belts will eat flesh faster than you can react. Cut them apart and use them for sanding paper or like emory cloth. Don't EVER put them on the machine and take the chance!! :wacko:

If you have belts that are coming apart at the seams, Don't try to use them, unless you are into selfmutilation. :blink: Those belts will eat flesh faster than you can react. Cut them apart and use them for sanding paper or like emory cloth. Don't EVER put them on the machine and take the chance!! :wacko:

I'll second that. I know from experience that a belt coming apart at the joint can really hurt! (Don't ask)!

Not using a belt that's coming apart made it to my NEVER do that again, short list first try.

Are they coming apart before you mount them or shortly after you try running them? If they're coming apart after you try using them you may be mounting them backwards, the seams don't like that and will slap you silly for it. Most brands have an arrow on the back for that reason.

Frosty the Lucky.