I Forge Iron

Looking for an anvil repairer Hampshire England

This is my anvil - a bit of a sway back. I don't have the kit to repair it. So is there anyone local that does repairs? The curved face makes working straight pieces a bit haphazard. I would like to buy a new one but they are a bit pricey and second hand are tricky to find. I got this off ebay about 6 years.

post-20343-0-63930100-1311581232_thumb.j

post-20343-0-08208200-1311581327_thumb.j

Hmm I'm beginning to think I asked the wrong question maybe the curve in the face isn't an issue. I do have trouble getting things straight though especially the longer pieces.

The trick is to place the bend over the swayed area but only hit it hard enough to straighten it, not hard enough to bend it the other direction. It takes a bit of practice to get used to doing it.

Perhaps what you need is not another anvil but just a "truing plate" A heavy thick piece of steel that has a good flat surface.

I was using one last night when I was truing up a spider (used to support a pot over a fire) after forge welding the legs onto the ring.

Very helpful in that as a wide flat surface you can true up assemblies on it either hot or cold.

For blademaking I've sometimes used a section of old RR rail with a flat top and several feet of length. (new RR rail tends to have an arched top)