I Forge Iron

Greetings From The Twin Towns

Tee

Greetings All,

Just turned 50 a bit ago and decided it was time to do something I've wanted to do for many years. Will be signing up for a blacksmithing class that is offered by The Guild of Metalsmiths, when the next newsletter comes out. The classes begin either in January or March. Also I'm looking at a Welding Technology Certificate, that is offered by a local trades school.

I'm in a occupation that has nothing to do with blacksmithing. That's why I'm really looking forward to trying it.

Anyone here who started blacksmithing later in life? Would really like to hear what your stories are.

Thanks for reading.

Regards,

T.

Tee
Welcome to I Forge Iron.
I feel you have started down the right path to start with, and that is to attend classes.

I beleive that attending classes is one of many good approaches to start into the craft.

Over the years I have assisted several people who were older to get started in the learning the process of blacksmithing.
I found it to be interesting to see which indivigles followed through on their own after receiving some basic instruction.
To some it was a chance to experence something just out of being curious and the basic experence was all they wanted.
No doubt many un-seen factors were playing out in there life's at that time that would allow them to continue or have to give it up!
A few took to it like a fish in water, and others let it go like a fish out of water.

Young people no doubt have physical strength and tons of energy going for them. Many also have the deep interest and abilitys that sets them apart
in the world of blacksmithing.
BUT!!!!! I feel the an older person has an advantage many times over a very young person when they take on the challange of learning the craft of blacksmithing.
#1. Older people have had a lifetime of learning how to approch and solve problems.
#2. Older people seem to receive instructions and follow through as instructed very well.
#3. Older people usually bring to the table a varity of valuable experence's they have received while doing other crafts
or hobbies that translate over very well in concept and also with the disiplane that will assist in the learning curve.

When it comes down to it, Old or Young, this wounderful old craft seems to grab you, or NOT!
I wish you the very best as you proceed.
If you keep it fun, it will be!
Ted Throckmorton

Hey T.
Welcome to IFI. This is a great place to start. There are many of us that started out later in life but not too late.
I was 50 when I started. I'm 52 now. My son and I had talked about building our own forge for years. He went off to Iraq and when he came back we built a brake drum coal forge. He has since turned his attentions to other things once he settled back in and I turned my attention to the forge. I light it off whenever I get a chance which is just about all my free time. It has worked it's way into my blood. I am of German descent and my last name indicates that my ancestors were blacksmiths. Who knew it was already lurking in my blood before I knew it.
It has become my hobby/habit, obsession and passion. It is almost always on my mind what I will do next or different. How to improve, how not to fail and how to improve through my failures.

It's been a great ride and I'm not getting off.

Mark <><

Welcome to the group
I am from Franklin, MN
Try to make it to the Guild madness at the little log house in Sept
Brian Brazeal moves metal with a hand hammer better than most and Tom Latane' is tops in his area of expertise.
Brian's hammer technique is differrent than most likely the guild instructors are going to teach but much more effective so I would pay close attension to him.
Hope to see you there

Anyone here who started blacksmithing later in life? Would really like to hear what your stories are.

Thanks for reading.

Regards,

T.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'later in life' but I started a 36. In any case, welcome and I hope you enjoy what you learn; both here and in class.

Well let's see: youngest I've taught was in single digits and the oldest was 82. So depending on how you define "older in life" you maybe ain't there yet!

My day job is in IT and it's often very soothing to come home at night and hit some hot metal with a hammer---REPEATEDLY! OTOH when it's 108 degF in the shade and your working in an uninsulated metal building it's real nice to go into work and think "wow they pay me to sit in a comfy chair in airconditioning and stare at a screen and type!