I Forge Iron

Gas forge stand

SamT

What do you guys use for forge stands? I have some 5 1/2" pipe, probably 1/4 wall. I was thinking of welding this to a truck brake drum (think kenworth, not chevy) for a stand if my dad can get me one. If not then I'll weld three feet onto it, possibly with wheels on two. What is a good height for the forge floor? I'll basically be copying zoeller's brick forge. Just want some input so I can start on the stand while I wait for brick.

Well I generally scrounge an old gas grill cart and junk the grill and bolt a piece of steel across the gap where it was and bolt the gas forge to that. I can wheel it around the shop and it holds a propane bottle underneath.

I sometimes beef them up by putting good wheels on them and perhaps make some crossbars or add tool holders.

This method doesn't require welding either.

Kinda handy being able to move the forge closer to large equipment that doesn't move...

Before that I used a slab of soapstone on my work bench and placed the forge on that.

• 4 weeks later...

thanks jeff. the height depends a lot on what you will be doing and how tall you are.

Some folks like their gas forges high so they can easily see in them. I prefer mine *low* for that very reason---I'm trying to NOT spend a lot of time staring into the hotspot and encouraging glass blowers cataracts!

If you work heat material you probably want it set so that the bottom of the forge is about level with where you would hold such materials with your arms fully extended straight at your side and you hands curled.

If you are working with quite small items you may want the forge higher to make it easier to fish small items in and out.

My best advice is to EXPERIMENT! Don't think of building just *1* forge for your blacksmithing. Think of it as an on-going process of improving your set up till it's perfect for *you*!

Nicemibs,

Saw your post about doing some bladework and thought I would add my two cents. I have attached two photos of my roll-around forge stand fabricated from an old gas grill. Ripped off the grill and replaced it with a piece of plywood with a layer of concrete backer board over that. The bottom shelf originally was concrete backer board till it sagged from the weight and was replaced with plywood. Eventually I will find the right sized/thickness sheet metal to replace the lower plywood. My Freon tank forge has a brazed 1” ID black pipe for the pole mount, the center pole is BP ¾” x 18” and slides into a BP 1”x 8” which is screwed into a floor flange mounted to the table surface. This permits me to have a lot of vertical adjustment if required. When I travel to a hammer in, I take the forge and all the mounting BP and it mounts to the piece of plywood that is locked into the top of my Black and Decker Workmate. Everything fits into the trunk of my ’97 Corolla except for the anvil stand and it goes in the back seat. Caution: this type of stand can get very top heavy quickly and the wheel base is narrow, therefore it can be unstable when moving it in position. My forge is easy to slide off the pole mount, reducing the risk of a roll over.

post-3055-0-81203300-1313505935_thumb.jp

post-3055-0-61651800-1313505946_thumb.jp