I Forge Iron

Frankenstein Anvil

I spend some time just looking at whats for sale on EBay and today I found this anvil the fellow named Frankenstein, it's interesting to look at, and no I not suggesting that anyone here buy it, it just put here for discussion, not a hint of suggestion that anyone should purchase this poor baby so you don't even need to think of moving it to the tail gate section. Just leave it alone <_<
http://cgi.ebay.com/Anvil-162-Atwood-/250813544934?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a65a6f9e6

Wow I'd love that for my "wall of shame". Wouldn't be the worst one by far! (Actually one of the better ones...) But I wouldn't pay more than about US$25 for it.

One Quad-State they had an anvil that had had it's horn broken off and the smith had forged a collar to fit around it with two bars going to below the heel where they were threaded and a crossbar fitted over them to hold the horn in place. A neat old repair.

The thing is that it's still a usable anvil for a beginner; just way overpriced. My "collectible" anvil that was missing the heel I bought for US$40 and it still weighed over 100 pounds and had a nice thick flat face and a fair horn on it.

When I first saw the picture, I was intrigued by the bar attached to the side. I was wondering what wonderful application this had to the anvil and how it would benefit the smith. Maybe some ancient bending attachment.
Then I put on my glasses and zoomed in. Frankenstein suits it well. Neat fix.

Mark <><

Are saying that Frank should be thrown into the Fiery Furnace? Heaven forbid it! He still has lot of use left in him, he still has a horn and hard-face left. Yes, his heel is not in the best of shape but like Thomas and other has said he would be a good beginners anvil and he sure is better than a rock. Remember it is not always the anvil but the skill of the smith that makes the work. I know a fellow that bought a new Nimba anvil and still after a period of two years couldn't draw a decent taper and the top of that poor Nimba was starting to look like Frank. Frank may be abused but should his fate be rebar? :blink:

Would be neat to have it donated to one of the large blacksmith events and let a team of smiths try and weld it back together. I would guess that face would need to be knocked off and a new one re-welded. But in the end if the whole thing was burned up it would not be much of a loss at this point.

I know I would be glad to strike on a team trying to repair it for fun.