I Forge Iron

MONDO Ice Cream Scoop!

I have long been frustrated by the poor quality of the ice cream scoops I can buy. When I stopped by the World Metals shop a while back they had some 1" diameter rods of solid Monel (exactly which specific Monel alloy I don't know). I bought about a 30" piece to forge around with and had in mind making me an ice cream scoop that would be durable and strong. I think I got it done! This stuff was awesomely tough even making my power hammer groan! After it was finished I thought that I had made the handle too long but with practice I find that it works quite well. I have been amazed at the durability of the finish (partially sanded scale), which has not changed appearance in about a year of frequent use and hundreds of washings. I believe that my son will be able to pass this down to his son's someday.

It is man-sized at 13 1/2" long with a 2 5/8" wide scoop and maximum handle diameter of about 3/4".

post-5493-0-03908900-1311019661_thumb.jp

Nice scoop. I have a piece of 1" monel and have had no plans for it. I think some melon scoops and ice cream scoops will be in order. Thanks for posting the picture. It is a really nice looking piece and it inspires me to use the piece that I have.

Mark <><

• 5 months later...