I Forge Iron

Dwarven knife

the branch

Hillo all! I just have to put it out there at once. This knife has been inspired by the Dwarven miners knife of MadDwarfWorkshop, (mostly the inspiration and the deep etch)

Well its finally done after a rehandeling. this knife is a bit unusual for me. Its a knife which issnt too practical in everyday use, cause of the etching. But I wanted to make a fantasy-ish knife to get me going on broading my normal design taste. (Did that make sense? o_O)

Cheers from Norway

-Jens Strassegger

post-2529-0-66021600-1310911328_thumb.jp

I love it, Jens. I think that the etching shows the pattern very well and I can see where that knife would be a good one. What is the blade and overall length? Thanks for posting the pic. :D

Thanks mate! The length is ca. 13.5cm (5inch) just the blade and ca. 26cm (10inch) in total. so a tiny bit longer blade than handle. :F

Great looking knife. What type of wood and finish did you use on the handle. Looks like oak but don't know for sure if you have oak in Norway.

Thanks.

Yupp its Oak. We have a bit of it here south, but I got mine from an old door frame, uhm... (the piece one walks over). The front part is buffalo horn and I charred the handle "a bit" to get that nice shading I personally love in burnt oak :F.

I'd suggest *using* it as an everyday knife---what can you do to it that you can't fix?---You *MADE* it! (of course I once boggled more than a few peoples minds when they noticed me digging an impromptu fire pit with a pattern welded blade...)

Hehe, Want I ment is that the etch is very deep so it will clogg up between the layers. Dont take me wrong Its very useable, I wouldnt make a knife that wassnt. But If it should be practical in form of cleaning etc. Id have to grind the edge clean, which would change the look of it.

Hmmm... patternwelded spade... :F