I Forge Iron

im new here. looking for a cheap gas forge to buy...

Jeffrey Santos

Gas forges generally aren't cheap (at least not by my standards of "cheap"), and they're even less so if you buy a commercially made forge. Making your own is the budget route. There's lots of info about this in the archives here, but as far as finding someone local, try getting in touch with the Florida Artist Blacksmith Association: http://www.blacksmithing.org/

I built both of my propane forges at workshops given by the local ABANA affiliate where I used to live. They were done pretty much at cost for the participants. (We were set up in an assembly line to build them, then at the end of the weekend we drew numbers to see who got which one---keeps people from concentrating on *theirs* and slacking on others as anyone of them might be theirs!)

Making a small 1 burner forge, based on a single 3/4 inch burner and 1 running foot of 1 inch ceramic wool insulation and a hard brick for a floor is about as cheap as you are going to get. This arrangement means your biggest expense is the regulator, and the manifold is minimized to a single valve, a tee, and a pressure gauge.

You can use stovepipe for sheet metal, pop rivets or screws for assembly of the shell, electrical conduit retaining rings and some black pipe that is drilled and tapped to hold the burner and be up and running with a forge that is about 8 inches long, 4 inches wide and 4 inches tall. I would make the forge have a slot or other way to have the front and side open if I built my forge again.

Here is my little gas forge with 2 pieces of 1 1/2 inch 4140 in it.

Phil

post-9443-0-62446700-1310568182_thumb.jp

Phil's laid out about as easy a gas forge to build as there is. Thanks for showing off a "T" burner in operation Phil.:)

If you need any help with the burner let me know, I kind of wiffled the "T" burner out some years ago and it's easy enough to build if you can do reasonably precise work. I like SS stove pipe for a pipe forge as SS reflects more heat back into the interior. I'm cheap, I paid for the gas I want every single BTU where I want it.

I also have a Johnson Appliance 122a gas forge I'd be willing to let you have plus shipping and handling of course.:rolleyes:

Frosty the Lucky

thank you so much everyone for taking the time to respond to me. this is a great site.

GOSH! Where ARE my manners? Welcome aboard Jeffrey glad to have ya. If you'll put your general location in your header you might be delighted to discover how many folk here live within a reasonable visiting distance. It'll also save us old farts from having to rely on our memories to know who's neighborhood we're in when traveling and we want a snack or place to nap.

Frosty the Lucky