I Forge Iron

Trip to London

Hello all! Im now back from a weeks visit in London and have taken a good amount of pictures for you! (allmost all the blade artifacts from the British museum and a bit from the Science museum!) feel free to go and check them out at my Picasa album: London Pictarue!

Im by no stretch of the imagination any good at fotography and the lighting is a bit of a challange in some exebitions, but atleast it should be vieweable.

If you have any interrest of a bigger picture give me a tell and I can send you a bigger picture. (Picassa didnt want to make my pictures big =()

At the end of the album there are a few mineralized treestumps too. Just for fun!

Hope you like it!

(I'm not sure where to put this thread. Im sorry if its in the wrong one and apriciate it if its redirected to its propper thread)

Thank You,Thank You,Thank You!!! What a GREAT experience to share. I've looked them over several times now an see new things each time.

My pleasure! Just tell me if you need a HR version of some. (seeing the details better and stuff).

On your next trip I suggest the Victoria and Albert (V&A).
They have a good edged art collection and an entire area for forge ironwork.

Also The Wallace Collection Museum is a must see I think...great curators there and wonderful edged art.

I was lucky enough to travel to India in 2007 with curators from the British Museum, Royal Armouries, V&A, the Wallace Collection, an independent appraiser and Dr. Ann Feuerbach....spent two weeks with them and all were wonderful folk who knew their stuff.

If you contact those places ahead of time you can arrange to hold some of the edged art if you have a particular something in mind. Most can not open the cases on display, but all have goodies in storage that can be viewed.

Ric

On your next trip I suggest the Victoria and Albert (V&A).
They have a good edged art collection and an entire area for forge ironwork.

Also The Wallace Collection Museum is a must see I think...great curators there and wonderful edged art.

I was lucky enough to travel to India in 2007 with curators from the British Museum, Royal Armouries, V&A, the Wallace Collection, an independent appraiser and Dr. Ann Feuerbach....spent two weeks with them and all were wonderful folk who knew their stuff.

If you contact those places ahead of time you can arrange to hold some of the edged art if you have a particular something in mind. Most can not open the cases on display, but all have goodies in storage that can be viewed.

Ric

Thanks for the info! Gonna have to go back there soon again :P I walked past both those places several times and didnt think they would hold any edge related items... Wrong I was.

Ohwell, if I would have gone to those places too my girlfriend would probably have killed me anyways. Bless her patiant heart for keeping up with her little blacksmithing manchild in the streets of London. ^^

Next time I´ll scan the whole city to its bare bones! It would be wonderfull to actually get a real look/touch of some of those artifacts thank you again for the heads up. My hats of to you (is thats how one says it? O.o)

When you go back check out the museum of London. They have a lot there that might spark your eye. I spent a bit of time in the early rooms with Roman artifacts and early Anglo Saxon stuff. There is a wing in the V&A on iron work also some wonderful examples of architectural stuff.

Brian Pierson

If you are going back to London may I suggest you get in touch with the museum of london beforehand, I have been there several times to look at their stuff and if you ask nicely with plenty of notice they will let you look at some of their reserve collection.
The staff are very friendly and i have spent several happy days there going through tray after tray of medieval arrowheads and Xbow bolts - and allowed to handle draw and even photograph them.
So drop them a line, they have a web site, tell them what you are interested in and you never know.