I Forge Iron

Is it a Hay Budden?

This is a continuation of my thread "I need some Hay Budden dimensions" from a month ago. So I have an anvil that looks a lot like a Hay Budden. After pulling some dimensions and comparing them to the 1914/15 HB catalogue that Southshoresmith posted, it's difficult to pinpoint a weight for the anvil. It has the face dimensions of a 400 pounder, the horn length of a 450 pounder, and a hardy hole size of a 500 pounder. But here's the kicker-it's got a face plate. The faceplate looks to be part of the original construction, not added later as part of a repair.
I postulated on the other thread that the anvil might have been made by the Southern Pacific Railroad, and that was before I had seen it. I wouldn't be surprised if they did make this anvil, using another as a pattern.
Enclosed are some pictures.

a. My Baby
b. with a 200 pound HB on top of it
c. with a 400 pound fisher on a stand 12" behind it.

post-7885-0-50456000-1310246835_thumb.jp

post-7885-0-30107400-1310246861_thumb.jp

post-7885-0-90449700-1310246890_thumb.jp

Are there handling holes in waist and/or base? Sometimes on HB's, there is a fairly large, single number stamped under the horn on the waist next to the handling hole.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

No,there are no handling holes. It does have the concave hourglass shape under the base. In profile, it's a dead ringer for anvilcustoms 700 pounder.

Any signs of having a serial number on the front foot? What side it's on can help indicate make---even if you can't read it!

Also the hourglass base concavity is quite indicative! Is it a thin walled or a thick walled one? I have an old HB (well marked) with face and a thin almost worn off hourglass concavity indicating it was an early model.

Any signs of having a serial number on the front foot? What side it's on can help indicate make---even if you can't read it!

Also the hourglass base concavity is quite indicative! Is it a thin walled or a thick walled one? I have an old HB (well marked) with face and a thin almost worn off hourglass concavity indicating it was an early model.

No Indications of a serial number, but it sat in a factory base (I think) in the snow through about 50 winters, so there is about 1/8" corroded off of the feet where the number would be.
The hourglass is about 1 1/4" concave, with the hourglass begining about 1 1/4" in from the outside edge of the foot. There are some voids in the foot. I'll try to get a picture when I get home tonight.