I Forge Iron

200lb Chambersburg

My big compressor (400 cfm), at full tilt on the hammer it just idles. WIth the two storage tanks, I may be able to use something smaller for short runs. I shut down the compressor when I shot the vid and it ran for about 5 min. I would say this hammer is the most versatile and controllable I've run (owned).

Big? Come on this a baby ;-). I want a big hammer someday..... Anything over 1250 will do...

Yeah, I guess your right! To me any old industrial hammer is a big hammer. I am not sure what I would do with one at this point. I think I would just turn it on and let it run. I love just to hear them breath, makes my blood stir.

I remember when it was a long day trying to forge 1" by hand, then dreaming about owning a big hammer (100lb little giant). Its funny how your perspective changes, now my four hammers have a combined ram weight of 1750lb but I would own a H frame 2000 if the opportunity presented itself. I'm sure the guys in the industry consider anything under a 2000 a small hammer!

I remember when it was a long day trying to forge 1" by hand, then dreaming about owning a big hammer (100lb little giant). Its funny how your perspective changes, now my four hammers have a combined ram weight of 1750lb but I would own a H frame 2000 if the opportunity presented itself. I'm sure the guys in the industry consider anything under a 2000 a small hammer!

Forging 1" square down by hand now is harder by hand then it was when I did not have the power hammer...knowing there is a better way and not being able to exploit that is what causes me pain now.

A 2,000 pounds would too big for me, but an 800-1,000 would be useful for five minutes a month.

Harold,
You could always charge smiths $5 to see it running...may even cover the cost of electricity for turning it on.

Ric

Forging 1" square down by hand now is harder by hand then it was when I did not have the power hammer...knowing there is a better way and not being able to exploit that is what causes me pain now.

A 2,000 pounds would too big for me, but an 800-1,000 would be useful for five minutes a month.

Harold,
You could always charge smiths $5 to see it running...may even cover the cost of electricity for turning it on.

Ric

The second demo I ever went to they had a 300lb Chambersburg self contained air hammer. The minute they started it up I knew I had to have one. They through in a piece of 2" solid and started to go to town on it and the building shook and the dust came down from the purlins. After that the deal was sealed.

I will own one some day and charging $5 bucks to watch it run may be a good start to justify the cost to the head book keeper. ;)

My bet is it wasn't a 1200lb Little Giant since there never was such a thing... Little Giant did advertise a 1000 lb hammer but I dont think that one still exists, if even ever built... The biggest ones kicking around are the 500lb'ers and there is only a handful of those... A 500lb'er next to a 25 would be like a toy tonka truck next to the Bigfoot monster truck...

All the more reason to build one Larry! biggrin.gif

quit being an enabler to Larry's tool collecting.......he should build one for YOU.

I worked under a 250 little Giant for two years ..it was a good hammer with brake and well tuned. To get it running you needed to rock the ram to get a full rotation..I imagine a 500 is the same (one in Minnesota I need to go use to verify that, but it seems logical).
I prefer the air hammers for most work, but if it was no hammer or any hammer...I'd pick the hammer.

Ric