• HSS - High Speed Steel
    • Cobalt
    • Black Oxide
    • Black Nitride
    • Titanium
    • Polycrystalline diamond (PCD)
    • Zirconium Nitride

1. HSS bits don't like heat buildup
2. Cobalt bits are tougher and last longer.
3. Titanium Nitride, the gold stuff is 95 R and is applied to make the bits look better and is a little slicker but once its gone (resharpened) its gone, its applied to low quality bits sometimes as a selling point.
4. Cobalt bits are normally a Black Color but are sometimes Titanium coated in the flutes.
5. Plain Carbon bits are almost useless in a high speed drill.
6. Drill speed is directly related to Bit Life. The smaller the bit the higher the speed (SFM) surface speed of the OD of the bit.
7. Solid Carbide bits stay sharp longer, but do not like side pressure and chip easily, Production Mfg facilities even Titanium Nitride Solid Carbide cutting tools to prolong tool life.
8. Spend the $$ for a Quality Brand Name set of bits, they are cheaper in the long run as they have been schooled by the Energizer Bunny, They just keep on going and going. By the time you keep replacing bits all the time the price of the Quality Bits is Cheap.

For the most part all I use is the cheap hardware store drill bits (ace hardware or hanson brand). I go through them a lot mainly due to heavy use, and I re-sharpen them by hand myself on what ever grinder or belt sander is handy at the time. If I was doing more of the same type of drilling all the time I would maybe invest in the better bits but - they get abused and I don't really have any trouble using them on any type of mat'ls including stainless. - JK

I'm gonna have to agree with the gentleman from Nebraska. Hanson Tap makes pretty good stuff. I have a set of American Tool bits ( no longer in biz I think ). I think 75 bucks for 1/16-1/2 set. I would dearly like to have a full set ( letters/ numbers / fractions ). I will get them eventually.

I buy cobalt for general work and TiN for most hard alloys - usually domestic make from MSC. I often buy what most people would consider very expensive bits on machining jobs, which subsequently paid for themselves several times over by not breaking in the middle of a run. You get what you pay for...