I Forge Iron

20lb Fisher Anvil made prior 1860 good condition ballpark value

Hi, picked up a small fisher anvil, did some research on Postmans book,the stubby short horn and heel, picture in the earliest Fisher advertisement on page 177,and described on page 153 for those with access to the book, was made prior to 1860, will try to post a picture soon,need to know ballpark value for small old 20 pound Fisher, face flat, any thoughts, thanks

There is very little market for anvils in Antarctica so don't expect much. You would have mentioned your LOCATION if you were not there, right? Anvils go for about 50% higher where I live in NM than they would in OH and both of those places are in the USA!

If it's in excellent condition and is totally identifiable as a Fisher---markings not just "looks" then it will most likely go very high to one of the collectors---if you can access that market.

OTOH there are "fakes" in the market place too. Here in NM we get quite a few anvils cast from "originals" down in Mexico and I expect I'll see some being "aged" to pass as time goes on.

Hi, picked up a small fisher anvil, did some research on Postmans book,the stubby short horn and heel, picture in the earliest Fisher advertisement on page 177,and described on page 153 for those with access to the book, was made prior to 1860, will try to post a picture soon,need to know ballpark value for small old 20 pound Fisher, face flat, any thoughts, thanks

Always interesting in anything Fisher for the museum. Cannot give value without a photo. And prefer to talk $$ in a private conversation or email me at njanvilman AT gmail.com. I also have lots of trade material.

Good thing about a 20 lb. anvil of any brand is that they fit in a medium flat rate USPS box for about $11.

Always interesting in anything Fisher for the museum. Cannot give value without a photo. And prefer to talk $$ in a private conversation or email me at njanvilman AT gmail.com. I also have lots of trade material.

Good thing about a 20 lb. anvil of any brand is that they fit in a medium flat rate USPS box for about $11.

I totally understand your point of not discussing what YOU would pay for this little darling but I would be interested as I'm sure others would be also, just what would one this size bring. Maybe AFTER you buy this one you could give some of us a ball park idea. Although it's not a Fisher, I do have a 37# Arm & Hammer anvil in near mint condition, quiet little anvil with great rebound. Used it a yr or so when I started out and paid $50 for it. Used it last year to demo with INSIDE a library during their art show. No, I didn't have a fire but I did do some small copper work as my demo pieces.

Thomas; Arm and Hammer or Vulcan? A&H's are usually quite loud while Vulcan's are quiet. A&H has the logo stamped into the side of the anvil Vulcan has the logo cast proud of the side---both use the "Arm and Hammer" symbol.

My 93# A&H is my main demo anvil as it will sure bring in a crowd before I put the mute back in the pritchel!