I Forge Iron

Chestnut trees

Candidquality

I know to many this doesnt seem appropriate to post here, but I thought at least in the off topic it might have a small part. I found a link to a site which is currently researching the genetic manupulation of the American chestnut tree. They are currently expecting to be able to present these seeds for sale to the public in 5-15 years. Seems like a long time off, but it would be interesting to see my son or grandson forging out under the beautiful chestnuts. Just in case any of you are interested. The American Chestnut Foundation

As a side note the trees they currently have for sale are not modified but the current blight succeptable ones.

Thanks for that one.
I had heard that they had been working on these, but hadn't really done any research. You are right, it would be great to plant chestnut trees for posterity. The last sizable chestnut on the family farm died when I was really young (i don't even remember it), and since then they only make it to about five years old before they die.

"'Neath the spreading walnut tree" just doesn't sound as poetic (and makes for some interesting squirrel air raids of walnuts crashing on the steel roof besides!) ;)

-Aaron @ the SCF

It's nice to see people who don't look at Genetic Modifications as a wholly evil monster (It's amazing how many of them congregate in a Vet college). In some instances, it is just speeding up evolution by giving the plants the resistance instead of them developing it through successive generations. (I'm done my rant. Please don't start arguing, I know that GMO's can be bad too).
I heard on the news the other day that they are undergoing research for GMO peanuts too. Something about improving the nutritional content in some lines and the oil for refinery purposes in other lines or peanuts. I may have misheard and I would look up some links but I'm on dial-up on the farm and can only open one page at a time it seems.