I Forge Iron

Old Farm Tools

We have a farm outside of Pictou, Nova Scotia that was my father-in-law's ancestral home. Over the past few years I've been scrounging through the barn and sheds(all built about 165 yrs ago) and have slowly separated out some of the stuff that interests me. Next summer the barn will be dismantled for the hand-hewn timbers saved. The following year the house comes down and will be redesigned and built using the saved barn timbers.

Here's a simple shot of our farm(+/- 83 acres0 on the shores of the Northumberland Straight. Many of the tools shown below were used to construct the house, barn and other buildings on the property.
p5230284.jpg

This is the old work shop where the following items were found:
p5230280.jpg
Here's a few items that i have put aside:

A hand forged froe(sp?):
p5230270.jpg

p5230269.jpg

p5230271.jpg

A big ole' vise and a massive sledge
p5200199.jpg

A selection of hand forged augers:

p5230272.jpg

p5230273.jpg

You can see the "weld" in the auger shaft
p5230274.jpg

A selection of scythe blades, a pair of hewing broad axes (left and right handed), and a double bit axe:
p5200203.jpg

This ammo can is about three feet long and will make a fine edge-quenching tank:
p5240195.jpg

I just finished cleaning up these two hammer heads and fitting them with crude handles. The sledge is a 4 lb, and the straight peen is a 3 lb.
p5240186.jpg

A bit of steel for banging on...... two harrow rakes, two files, and three thick planer blades( I think).
p5240187.jpg

And..... this was our neighbor's firewood pile:
Fiddleback Red Maple
p5240189.jpg

Curly Bird's Eye Red Maple
p5240190.jpg

Finally..... WHAT THE HECK IS THIS?
p5230275.jpg

p5230276.jpg

p5230279.jpg

I may be wrong but the sledge looks a bit more like a post maul to me. If it is a maul then it's likely iron, a spark test should tell. You could likely sell it though and buy a dozen sledges... or one really good sledge.

" the sledge looks a bit more like a post maul to me" i would agree(used one often) don't hit anything than timber,i've seen a number with chipped faces.

Mat, Kerry - Well, that would explain it! When removing the rust from these two, the "maul" was considerably more difficult to grind - harder, different spark configuration, different sound, etc. Thanks for the tip. I'll reserve this tool for pounding on fence posts.

Peter