I Forge Iron

Forge welding - how to

A first for me today. A forge weld. This thread inspired me to give it a try. Some older friends of my girlfiends son came over. They are getting into making knives. Purely as a hobby. And we got a nice four hour long hammer session in today. It sure was fun. Anyway, one of them wanted to make a three prong whalers harpoon like he had seen on the coast. We used a piece of grade 60 rebar and a piece of mild 3/8" round for the center. Scarfed the 3/8" then hammered into the "U" shaped rebar tines, cold, to make the scarf for that. We did use flux, put everything into the forge, turned up the psi to 10 and let it sit till it was all high yellow. When we pulled it out it had alot of smoke coming off both pieces. I used a one pound ball peen hammer and tapped them together. It stuck instantly. We refinded the weld and I started working on a trade hatchet I'll show when I get it done. Anyway it was my first forge weld and I'm kinda proud. I was gonna take picks but it didn't work out. Sure was fun though.

Flux or no flux, you still get a warm feeling when your welds 'stick',

Now all you have to do is to keep practicing, confidence helps. Well done!

Was this a gas forge (10psi) ? in which case I would consider the use of a flux of whatever type to be essential

Flux or no flux, you still get a warm feeling when your welds 'stick',

Now all you have to do is to keep practicing, confidence helps. Well done!

Was this a gas forge (10psi) ? in which case I would consider the use of a flux of whatever type to be essential

Yes, I have a Diamondback Ironworks Blacksmiths Forge. It works as advertised. I would recommend them to anyone. As far as flux is conserned for a beginner its a great idea. Once I get more used to it, I'll try without.