I Forge Iron

Aluminum Alloy Sword

HavenVice

Perhaps the metal they have been using for *using* swords for almost 2000 years all over the world would be a good choice---a moderately high carbon steel.

Note that *weight* and *weight* *distribution* of a sword is important in use. People tend to go too heavy and have blades that can't be *swung* effectively or too light and have blades that won't *hit* effectively. For about 1000 years a good working sword weight was about 2.5 pounds (both for European and Japanese swords!)

if you want to re-invent something it's a good idea to learn the basics of the best of the class before trying to make changes.

May I strongly commend to your attention "The Complete Bladesmith", "The Master Bladesmith" and "The Pattern Welded Blade" all by James Hrisoulas; even if you are not forging the blades the information on heat treat and construction for *swords* is pretty much a must! If you live in the USA you should be able to ILL these books at your local public library.

Those pesky zombies at it again?? Personally, a sword is a little too up-close-and-personal for my taste. Very messy, what, with the rotting flesh and all and so corrosive on a nicely finished sword steel. Gotta clean clean that blade as soon as possible or you'll never get the smell off. .45 slug to the head; much cleaner, albeit noisier...... :ph34r:

You might want to consider aluminum bronze, alloy 642 I think.......It forges like butter and does not anneal, tough as nails.....The edge? Is this real combat or more like acting?.......A golden blade might look cool............mb

Ya a sword is a up close and last resort weapon with zombies, better off in a high place with long range rifle as they get closer get a couple Glock 17's with a few high Cap magazines. Heck even I have a .45 but 8 shots vs 15-30 in zombie days could be the difference between bite and no bite :P

• 2 months later...

my arsenal, in the event of zombie invasion, is as follows: two .22 caliber revolvers, one colt, one ruger. 20 guage double barreled shotgun (i only have a few hundred shells in a couple ammo cans) my .357 lever action marlin rifle, a 52'' two-handed claymore type sword (full aluminum, but has held up under heavy live combat practice) a two foot (approx) saber, machete sharp, and in the event that my dad is not around but his keys are, a chevy 5500 diesel flatbed work truck for high speed zombie carnage.