I Forge Iron

New Guy Here

Dave H.

Hello all, Dave Huffman here from St. Joseph Illinois. Just thinking about getting back into smithing after a 12 year break. Wish I had NOT sold all my equipment but that is how the story goes I guess. I don't want to get into art smithing to much but want to get into repair work & tool making. I am just going to take it easy & buy equipment as I can.
I used to be a member of the IVBA & plan on getting back with that group. Also may join ABANA again.

Dave Huffman

Welcome back. Let friends, relatives, etc know that you are looking for an anvil and other tools. A surprising number of smiths find stuff that way. Back in the stone age I was helping a friend renovate his sister's house (not-paid volunteer) and mentioned I was looking for an anvil. His sister asked her husband... her husband had a near mint condition 90-pound anvil sitting amongst the junk in the back of his van. .... And a cira-1837 family anvil was found in the mud and protected by the mud when the in-laws cleaned out their barn prior to moving the barn to a museum.

I am hoping that one of my nephews eventually shows some interest in blacksmithing so that the anvil can stay in the family. I gave one of my nephews a blacksmithing starter kit about 11 years ago, of a 100Lb anvil, cut-off hardie, a year's guild membership, two large ringed binders with handouts, notes and stuff, a book or two including the "New Edge of The Anvil", and two pairs of tongs. I don't know where that stuff when to but I'm pretty sure he does not have it any more. It might have ended up in a dumpster for all I know.

Hi Dave and welcome back to smithing. By all means, rejoin the IVBA. Also, just in case you might be interested, I'm posting a handbill to a blacksmith auction that is coming up on May 21st, over by Lake Shelbyville. The guy was a friend of mine and passed away a little over a year ago. He had a lot of smithing tools. Good to see you on here. And, like Thomas said, we DO like pictures. So post some pics of your progress and your work. :D
post-1549-0-10716400-1304965781_thumb.jppost-1549-0-05133900-1304965786_thumb.jp