I Forge Iron

Western States Conference Aug. 18-21 Mt. Hood Oregon

Well I thought that's gotta be worth checkin out, so I've registered and my plane ticket is bought- landing at JFK on the TUESDAY afternoon, I'm leaving on the 3rd and hoping to visit some of your shops? B)

Any sugestions''''''''''' :D

Regards Ian

I think JFK airport is in New York, which is on the other side of the country, unless you have a reason to be there a closer landing may work better for you. I guess if you arrive on the 3rd you will have plenty of time to get there by car. You are welcome to stop by my backyard shop in Salinas CA. I am thinking about going to the conference, but I need to find a ride share, as I am financially embarrassed (broke)

I think JFK airport is in New York, which is on the other side of the country, unless you have a reason to be there a closer landing may work better for you. I guess if you arrive on the 3rd you will have plenty of time to get there by car. You are welcome to stop by my backyard shop in Salinas CA. I am thinking about going to the conference, but I need to find a ride share, as I am financially embarrassed (broke)

Sorry Clinton, I arrive on the 16th after a long,long flight 19hrs(via the middle east) via london or paris to Portland was 32hrs. I thought of overnighting in NY and fly to Portland the next day?

Look me up at the conference I'll spring for a round or two! :)
Ian

Wow that is a long journey, I hope I can make it up there, it looks like about 11 hour drive from here, 14 hours if I drive my Volkswagon. I will take you up on the offer of a round or two if I do get up there. It is hard to pass up an opportunity like this especially when you see someone traveling as far as you ianinsa. I need to start looking for someone to share a ride with.

Well its going to be worth the trip guys... This is going to be the biggest west coast gathering of blacksmiths in history! (ok so there was only one other "western states and it was 25 years ago, but still)

I am new on the NWBA board and we are having a meeting at my shop this week to discus this conference... If you have any questions, recommendations or concerns let me know and I'll present them at the meeting..

Ian, I saw that you had posted to the Western States Confence chat. I look forward to meeting you there! I don't have a commercial shop, just a hobbiest myself with a small gas forge and 2 anvils. I think you will have a great time at Western States and have the opportunity to meet many NorthWest smiths who have commercial shops you could easily visit.

Also for anyone going who prefers indoor to outdoor living. The Best Western Inn has a special Blacksmith rate for the event, you must call and ask for it though. Instead of their regular $140 per night, it is $96 per night.

I'll have to post my picture on here so anyone from here can recognise me if there are there.

I'm already excited!!!

I think that is still in development and will be posted to the site as soon as they get something firm in place. With all the groups scheduled to be there there should be quite a few demo's. I'm planning on bringing my small anvil so that I get to do some hammering while there.

Hi Larry,
I'm really looking forward to it too.
However due to the long travel I intend to bring as little as possible with to reduce the 'shlep' factor.
I see that you have booked for the Best Westin and I think that's a good call so I would like to follow suit. Would you be so kind as to call them on my behalf and ask them to e-mail me or somesuch as I would like to book for myself and they give no e-mail add. and to do it over the phone from here om my mobile is daunting.
my add. is instasteel@sia.co.za.
Much apreciated. :)
Ian

WS Conference Schedule

Thursday Aug 18th
2:00 PM – 4:00 PM Opening ceremony Jeffery Funk
4:00 PM – 6:00 PM Dinner
6:00 PM – 9:00 PM BS Wars

Friday Aug 19th
9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Demonstrator A Alan Drew CBA
Demonstrator B Dave and Tom Ferry NWBA
12:00 PM – 1:00 PM Lunch
1:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Demonstrator C Peter Sevin AABS
Demonstrator D Caleb Kullman RMB
6:00 PM – 9:00 PM BS Wars

Saturday Aug 20th
9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Demonstrator E Tom Joyce SWABA
*Demonstrator F Jeffery Funk NRBA*

Demonstrator Alan Drew
12:00 PM – 1:00 PM Lunch
1:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Demonstrator G Mike Vagnino (ABS)
BS Wars
5:30 PM – Whenever. Banquet and auction

Sunday Aug 21st
9:00 BS Wars

Thanks for posting that Larry,

Ian

According to the Western States, accomodations page for best Western, you must call them directly to get the blacksmith rate. The online for Best Western does not have that rate. Here is their direct phone and fax numbers. I remember when I was in Germany with the US Army, calling back state side is VERY daunting. Perhaps operator assistance would be easier?

Best Western Mt Hood Inn
87450 E Government Camp Loop, Government Camp, Oregon, 97028, US
Phone: 503/272-3205 Fax: 503/272-3307

Thanks Larry,
I called them from my mobile................ I think I started to bleed from the eyes at the cost of the call!

Hi Grant,
can you SKype to a landline?

Regards Ian

If you have a pay account with Skype you can call from PC to landline. Not sure the cost but not that much I don't think.

I'm going, it will be easy to recognise me in the crowd.. Look for the middle age slightly overweight guy with a white beard wearing double knee carrharts and the welding shirt. Hee hee, that never gets old... Hey, CBA and Nevada folks, If you want to stop just over the border in Klamath Falls for beef, beer, and BS, I got parking and tent spots in the backyard. Timberline is about 6 hrs from my place. My contact info is on my bloggy page at the foot of this post.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow....$140 is prohibitively expensive for my unemployed self.
I'm seriously thinking that this event will be a major disappointment. To know about all the cool stuff happening inside, but not having the cash to go in and experience any of it will obviously be a major bummer.

Are there any options for a less expensive entrance fee? Volunteer opportunities??