I Forge Iron

Quality products from overseas.

Marksnagel

I know this is trivial and probably not important to anyone, but, notice in one of the ads here that boasts of quality forged products from a certain country. They can't spell supplier. They are a quality spuulier of stuff.
Since I'm not the sharpest tool in the shop I looked up "spuulier" and it said "Did you mean Supplier?"
If they or those that do the ad for them can't spell in the language of their target audience, should their product be trusted?
Along the same lines, the names that are given to the tool company from overseas are sometimes misleading. I recently looked at a power tool in a store that was a "Chicago something or other." Well unless there is a Chicago, China I very much doubt it's quality. Not that everything from over that way is bad but IME anything that cuts, bores, or has anything sharp to it isn't worth a hoot.
The point of my post? Read the fine print. Read all the print. If it sounds too good to be true chances are it is. Been burnt before from not paying attention to details in product information.
Sorry if I just dumped on one of the sponsors that help keep this a free site.

Mark<><

I avoid cheap products all the time due to low quality. I don't think the blame belongs on the county of manufacture as much as the greed of the company doing the buying or importing. Usually the importer will try to get a product made at the lowest possible price just to be able to make a sale. The manufacturer is just making what the importer pays them to. Wallyworld is the stereotype for that. Some very high quality stuff is coming from these countries as well. A good example is the red lincoln wirefeed welders sold at places like Home depot or costco. Those stores have demanded lower prices from lincln so lincoln made them a lower quality machine- priced accordingly. NOT the same machine that comes from the welding supply shop, just made to look the same. It has been a few years since I checked this so it may be outdated. Other products throughout those type of stores have been inferior as well so know what you are shopping for and compare part numbers.
Not knowing anything about that company it is hard to judge them. They could make very good parts and be a major supplier in their own country, bad spelling means they have not mastered the english language, who here can write any of their native languages.
Rob

True that bad spelling on the part of the ad company does not always mean a shoddy product. It may be an inclination that you should beware though. I have seen catalogues go to print that had wrong info in them.

My point was, as I said in the last paragraph, that we need to read the print. All the print. I do not place the blame for cheap merchandise on the manufacturer alone. It is as you said that the sellers demand lower prices and they offer a less than quality product to the consumer because of this.

The blame lies on me. It lies on me as the consumer for not researching and reading all the info provided for that product. It lies on me because I was too cheap to shell out the money for a quality product. Had I read the box it came in and did some research beforehand, then I would not have been dissapointed with my purchase(s).

So, beware of cheap stuff.
Don't be so cheap as to settle for cheap stuff.
Listen to the advice of those that have gone on before you.

Mark<><

Seems like once every few months around here we drag this dead horse back out and beat it some more. :)

Yea I know :( But it keeps rearing its ugly head so as a precautionary measure to those that are new to the site or to blacksmithing it gets re-posted. Sometimes things may need to be repeated for the benefit of those that are new and haven't heard it before, or like me have a bad memory. Kinda like safety items, every now and then they need to be resurected and then allowed to crawl back into the grave till the next time. B)

It was the ad that brought it back to life.

Now if we may have a moment of silence we will allow the dead horse to get some peace.

Mark<><

Seems like once every few months around here we drag this dead horse back out and beat it some more. :)

It cant be too dead, you read it and posted. Posting information and having discussion is what this site is about.

Most of us on the other hand should care about that our hard earned money is going to do the intended job for us. I have learned the hard way about many brands. Only Milwaukee brand, can I say that every product of theirs I ever owned, I still have and it still does the intended job, many others have failed me. Some cheap imports fail almost as soon as I got them home, I learned that I may as well pay for quality the first time, because after a buying a few of the cheaper ones, it adds up to the about the same cost as one of the good ones that would have lasted me if I got that.

I prefer to spend my hard earned money in my own area, buying locally made products when I can, but this thread isn't about where it was made as much as how well it was made. I agree that when people worry more about up front costs than quality, it does give the manufactures an excuse to produce junk to meet those demands. Why have we as a people incouraged and accepted this?

I agree that when people worry more about up front costs than quality, it does give the manufactures an excuse to produce junk to meet those demands. Why have we as a people incouraged and accepted this?

I believe it's because these days we want instant gratification. We want it now and the best way to ensure we get it now is to make it fast, cheap and easily accessable. Hence the big box stores with limitless supplies of instant take me home now stuff. If we have to wait until we can afford a good one we get impatient and settle for fast and cheap. Make sense?

Mark<><

I believe it's because these days we want instant gratification. We want it now and the best way to ensure we get it now is to make it fast, cheap and easily accessable. Hence the big box stores with limitless supplies of instant take me home now stuff. If we have to wait until we can afford a good one we get impatient and settle for fast and cheap. Make sense?

Mark<><

Unfortunately, yes.

Disagree, bad spelling indicates unwillingness to spend enough for a good translater.

Bad spelling is a clue to look closer at the quality of the product because it is likely to be a new product to OUR market. We at home have typos in every form of writing almost daily, the company doing the work is not the marketing company or the advertizer. Should every third world company that wants to sell something have to get a marketing firm from a major US city to sell here?
Rob

I agree that when people worry more about up front costs than quality, it does give the manufactures an excuse to produce junk to meet those demands. Why have we as a people incouraged and accepted this?

Because lower quality, less expensive stuff does have its place. Without trying to open too big a can of worms, I'll bet most of us here cannot honestly say that we drive the highest quality car on the market. Maybe the highest that we can afford, but not the best that can be had on the market, period. We balance quality against a host of other competing concerns -- cost being just one of them -- every day, in every purchase we make. There's nothing wrong with that.

Bad spelling is a clue to look closer at the quality of the product because it is likely to be a new product to OUR market. We at home have typos in every form of writing almost daily, the company doing the work is not the marketing company or the advertizer. Should every third world company that wants to sell something have to get a marketing firm from a major US city to sell here?
Rob

Yep, at least if they want to sell it to me. Comparing spelling on a forum to spelling on a package is apples to oranges.

I bought what I thought was a set of Hargrave C clamps from MSC. Add didn't say import, but they came in individual boxes that said printed in China on them. The clamps themselves say Hargrave on them, but neither made in USA or China. To be fair, they have held up well, but I never bought anymore. Felt kindof ripped off.

• 1 month later...

There is a bracket of markets out there to be taken advantage of, so the companies and importers do. And for the most, would compare as competition for the name and more expensive brands, they are not.

As my business builds and resources, I lean toward the more expensive gear as as far as I can. I have a Chinese tig, and would gladly buy the miller box.

I have $50 grinders, and the $300 grinders, walk all over the cheapies.

If it does what you need in the price range for you, with no problems, then you have your quality item.