I Forge Iron

last spike hawk

post-1252-0-46394500-1304264776_thumb.jp
Here is a hawk I forged from a 32 oz. ball pein,been laid up for two weeks after prostate surgery,can't forge for a while-patience is not my strong suit--I don't know if I attached the photo right or not,if you can see it thanks for looking--Regards Butch--Added a pic of the sheath--

post-1252-0-81123700-1304272129_thumb.jp

You work on getting well! We need more work like yours out in the world!

(And as my Drs like to tell me---trying to push my limits usually *slows* down my recovery!)

Perhaps now would be a good time to read up on the craft?

Thanks Thomas,I know you are right on the recovery,and I do have a lot of smithin material to read through ;) ---Regards Butch

You certainly have a high level of craftsmanship, I really appreciate seeing that.
I hope that your recovery is speedy. I have had two friend recently go through the very same surgery and are now doing just fine and back to doing all they did before, well almost every thing :P

You certainly have a high level of craftsmanship, I really appreciate seeing that.
I hope that your recovery is speedy. I have had two friend recently go through the very same surgery and are now doing just fine and back to doing all they did before, well almost every thing :P

Thank you for that. :) ....Regards Butch

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice hawk Butch! When you use a ballpein hammer or something that has been heat treated in some way do you anneal it before you start beating on it or just start beating on it?

Hi Barry,thanks.There is no reason to anneal before forgeing,you anneal mainly to soften the steel before coldworking it such as filework.I get it up to a yellow heat and forge away :D Best Regards Butch