I Forge Iron

Unidentified Power Hammer

I know I looked at that hammer at an OABA meeting but I cannot remember, is there any lettering on the hammer? I know Bertram foundry in Dundas made some Steam hammers under licence.

The only marking on the hammer is a small plate with the previous owners company name. (Hayes steel products machine #91)

• 1 month later...

Just an update if anyone is interested. The ram weight is 78 lbs (actual weight) and the hammer was patented in early 1890's by a Melvin Yeakley of Ohio. (Pat# 568395) The patent I came across was not for this exact hammer but for one that would have had improvements over the original design. It runs very well after being rebuilt and will be used daily. And no it's not for sale.

post-10345-0-51415600-1309199340_thumb.j

post-10345-0-87578900-1309199372_thumb.j

Looks like another single-acting air hammer. These only use air on the top of the piston, positive pressure and negative pressure. A 2psi vacuum acting on an eight inch square ram has nearly 130 pounds of lift! The one that I owned was (and is) a wonderful hammer that makes no apologies to any hammer. Mine was a 50Kg and had a nice solid blow and very fine control. I like the square ram on this one, very cool.

Let's have a video!

Thanks, Grant for drawing attention to the square ram and the pressure down-suction up method of operation. Looking at the front of the ram "TUBE" shows that it could be a sealing problem. Grant did you ever have yours apart? And, did it ever hit the top cap? Under suction it would seem to be ever so easy for that to happen.

This hammer is in my shop in Haliburton and sorry but I'm not into video.
Here is a picture of the rear cylinder and the valve/ air intake ports.The leather flap/reed valve at the top allows air to exhaust before the compression stroke begins, roughly half of the cylinder volume is used to push the ram down. On the down stroke of the rear piston the only new air introduced is through the 4 plugs at the bottom, removing them or drilling out one (as I have done, top right plug) to the correct size keeps the front ram from topping out. Depending on the wear of the front ram (which does leak to certain extent) you can adjust as needed. The front ram is 6" x 7" and is adjusted with shims of wood on either side using the large u-bolts.

post-10345-0-41898800-1309508635_thumb.j

• 1 year later...