I Forge Iron

Has anyone tried the coal from Stalite company in Gold Hill, NC? It is in the March/April newsletter. I called Lee Brawley and he said it is low sulphur stoker coal. It is 178.00 per ton plus tax cash only. He will give a bucket or two to try before you buy.They use it in their process and he sells it to some local blacksmiths. He is going to get an analysis done. I will post it when I get it if anyone is interested.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm just now getting into the market for some coal/coke. It's been a long time since I forged, but my smithy is slowly coming back into shape.

There used to be a coal supplier in Greenville, SC. On Markley St? But I'm wondering if anyone has tried "L" Brand forge coke?

They really brag on what their product does, and they deliver. But I don't have a clue as to the pricing or shipping costs.

Anyone have first-hand experience with this stuff?

• 1 month later...

Well, I spoke with Jay at Osteen Fuel and they do carry coal. According to him, all of their coal is West Virginia coal, but he can't be specific because load after load gets mixed. They've had Pocahontas, Blue Jim and others, but blacksmiths have been using it without complaint.

Prices are good. Sold by the bag, not the truck load. Very polite and helpful fella, and I'll be sure to report more once I've got my forge up and running....

Osteen Fuel Oil
402 N Markley St
Greenville, SC 29601
864-235-6127

Osteen Fuel Oil
402 N Markley St
Greenville, SC 29601
864-235-6127

looks like a place i got some from before, it was heater coal and fist size chunks, cracks and pops alot and dirty , but gets hot...

once again not sure if its the same place, its been 5 years or so ago....

as for stalite coal, I got some the other day for my class with Brian, it's full of clinker and smokes a lot, but is better than no coal at all!
and you can weld with it, also burns real fast!

Regards,

Jody

Jody, when I spoke with Jay he did mention that the coal was in large chunks, but they also have finer stuff that's around the size of a quarter. I forget what he called it.... but I do remember that it wasn't very expensive. I'll have to check my notes, but I seem to recall it going for $10 for a 40# bag.

That's not bad for regionally available coal. I'd love to see someone offer to store a ton or three so SC smiths could have a central location to get the good stuff, but that's not going to happen any time soon.

As soon as I get my forge up and running, I'll get a couple of bags and file a performance report.