I Forge Iron

Punching Hammer Eyes on the Hydraulic Press

gearhartironwerks

FE-Wood- your 3000 psi fitting is most likely a forged steel fitting. Take a spark test and see.

I got dissed on our other site because my hands were too close to a lathe. I know we could say if you don't like metalwork you could find a new profession but the bottom line is - Play safe! :) The machined fittings are cheap..

Thanks cybo11- I think they may be forged because of the shape, not a good shape to cast.

I took a bunch of flack about metal spinning. Shirt sleeves and a spinning lathe don't mix. Know what your talking about before be critical of another's approach... and yes be safe!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John.
Being here in Beijing China the you-tube is blocked along with a lot of other things. is there any way you can send a non you tube file to me via e-mail of your video, we want to make some hammers using a hydraulic press.
Also what is Uri lube.
Mike Wolfe coldsteel@ameritech.net

Hi John.
Being here in Beijing China the you-tube is blocked along with a lot of other things. is there any way you can send a non you tube file to me via e-mail of your video, we want to make some hammers using a hydraulic press.
Also what is Uri lube.
Mike Wolfe coldsteel@ameritech.net

Mike,

I just sent the video. Email me when you get it. Been working on 2 new style Kinyon hammers as well. Will send pics/vid if you get this one.

John

Hey John, Your a big boy and can make up your own mind... But gray and ductile pipe fittings like you would by at the plumbing store are only good for 300PSI... so your asking them to take a load that is 10 times what is intended.. Do you really think the few bucks is worth what could happen if one fails? 10 gallons of 2000 psi atomized oil spraying all over the shop with a couple of forges running? Make sure your insurance is up to snuf at least? :)

Hey John, Your a big boy and can make up your own mind... But gray and ductile pipe fittings like you would by at the plumbing store are only good for 300PSI... so your asking them to take a load that is 10 times what is intended.. Do you really think the few bucks is worth what could happen if one fails? 10 gallons of 2000 psi atomized oil spraying all over the shop with a couple of forges running? Make sure your insurance is up to snuf at least? :)

Yeah, you're right. I'll get to replacing them. Thanks for bugging me. :)

JE

another thing to concider. put some protection on the lines we have used some of the flat 2" discharge water hose on them for wear and whip arrest on hyd and air hoses. it ain't pretty but serves it's intended purpose.it will still make a mess but that's better than a very unfortunate incedent.it will not contain/control 3000# but as you know pressure will drop toalmost nothing on a large break. but watch out for pin holes as they will hurt you bad.

John,
Sorry to hasle, but if you would be so kind as to copy me with the mail that you sent to Mike I would be most gratefull!
I'm in the process of building a lighter hammer as well and your ideas seem spot-on.

instasteel@sia.co.za

Thanks in antisipation B)

Ian

John,
Sorry to hasle, but if you would be so kind as to copy me with the mail that you sent to Mike I would be most gratefull!
I'm in the process of building a lighter hammer as well and your ideas seem spot-on.

instasteel@sia.co.za

Thanks in antisipation B)

Ian

I assume we're talking about the new style Kinyon hammer. Mike is interested in the hydraulic press and punching hammer heads. Will be happy to forward the hammer info as I get further along in the process. I'm working on the foot treadle now as almost everything else is in place. Hope to test it soon.

Thanks,

John

I talked to the guy at the conference who you are building the second kinyon for ( I cant remember who, my memory sucks) What prompted you to build a pair of hammers? do you have a need for a specific proses? Seems like Ms Demoore and Say Mak should have you pretty well covered?

I really wish I could have seen all this two years ago... <_< This was the major thing I wanted my press to be able to do, and through ignorance have caused myself to go about it somewhat roundabout. I can punch holes now, but need to ge tthe toolings all set up to do it efficiently!

My little tidbit of contribution: on my press that my cousin built, it is rigged for both hand and foot operation using a single control per cylinder, with a foot pedal and hand lever linked together with angle iron. Step down with the toe or pull down on the lever and the ram goes down. Step down with the heel or pull up on the lever and the ram goes up. Never have to take your foot off the pedal if you're using it that way, and allows you to easily use hand tools under the press (careful! Lots of power.)

The more of this kind of data you put up, the happier you will make a lot of people.

I assume we're talking about the new style Kinyon hammer. Mike is interested in the hydraulic press and punching hammer heads. Will be happy to forward the hammer info as I get further along in the process. I'm working on the foot treadle now as almost everything else is in place. Hope to test it soon.

Thanks,

John

John,
The press is of much interest to me too, We have a number of them but I like your single I beam set-up, the 'truss' idea instead of 'webbing' the beam is novel(new to me anyway) and having it on wheels-bril!

Our internet is via a non-landline connection and long downloads(video) is slow and pricey, downloading mail via the mobile and transfering is to me more cost effective- hence the request.

Thanks again Ian

I talked to the guy at the conference who you are building the second kinyon for ( I cant remember who, my memory sucks) What prompted you to build a pair of hammers? do you have a need for a specific proses? Seems like Ms Demoore and Say Mak should have you pretty well covered?

Well, it was Jan and we were sucking wind for work. Having built 2 old style Kinyons, I was intrigued by the new style. I mentioned it to Bob Thomas who really needs a decent hammer, so we decided to pool resources for two. As you mentioned, I don't need another hammer, so after trying it out, will most likely sell it. Its been fun and a little bit of a challenge rounding up the parts as the manual leaves a lot of latitude. Also, I made the ram heavier, cylinder larger, and changed the head design.

On 5/3/2011 at 11:28 AM, monstermetal said:

Id like to see pictures when your done... I have talked about making one for a local knife maker but never got very far..

Almost finished w/Bobs hammer and will post pics and vid in the power hammer section. The xxxxxx thing better work.... :)

JE

• 5 weeks later...

As stated earlier, get rid of the cast fittings! And definitely get protective sleeves for your high pressure hoses. Some are kevlar. They run about $3.50 per foot so it is a very cheap investment to save your life and/or body parts and possibly your shop if it turns into a flame thrower.