I Forge Iron

what is it??

Hey Guys i have a few little pieces of scrap that im not sure of. I was told it was either stainless or inconel. Also i have a box full of asphault milling tips that i'm wandering about. It looks like they have a specialized tip. Maybe diamond? Not sure. Does anyone know what these things are made of? Gotta be pretty stout stuff to grind up asphault... Right? Thanks for looking and any help ya'll can give.

post-18517-0-92157100-1303077486_thumb.j

post-18517-0-38985500-1303077532_thumb.j

post-18517-0-22088500-1303077551_thumb.j

Picture #1 I don't know. Picture #2 and 3 are most assuredly teeth from a milling machine. I work for the NC DOT and have watched more of these machines than I can count. I inspected a job where one was used three days ago. They are used to mill down asphalt and concrete on road surfaces prior to resurfacing and bridges. The teeth are fastened to a large rotary drum under the machine that cuts a 7'wide strip in the intended surface. The teeth that I have seen them use are carbide tipped and yea, they are tough. The teeth are replaced as they wear out. I have a few dozen of them and have not found a use for them yet. Yet.

post-14490-0-29904100-1303096152_thumb.j

post-14490-0-34620500-1303096220_thumb.j

The teeth chew through asphalt really easy, concrete pretty well, but when they hit a manhold cover they pretty much lose out.

Hope this helps.
Mark<><

The tips are usually brazed in you can't use em. As for the rest of the tooth it forges well. I work for a drilling company and I have hundreds of em at home. We use them on our rock augers and core barrels. Like Mark said I haven't found a use for them yet but I salvage anything I can

The cutter tips make a mean centre punch, just remember to grind the carbide on a silicon wheel (green wheel). we often put a rod handle on them for centre punching jobs that we have to hot punch so as to make a deep mark to see when the job is hot, (it has a handle on it so as you can really belt it with your hand hammer and not be worried about hitting the hand holding the centre punch)

Thanks for taking a look guys. I was pretty sure of what the tips were used for. Does anyone know what type of steel they are made of? The center punch is a good idea. Anyone try making a drift or a hot cut/punch from them? As for the flat bar, does anyone know what a spark test on inconel vs stainless would result? Thanks again!!

Ohh and would the carbide tips come out during forging?

They are also used on grader blades called scarifiers. The tips are carbide and can not be forged. If they are brazed on then they will come off when you heat them in the forge. I tried. The steel is some pretty good steel. I don't know what.
Gobbler

Thanks Gobbler. I will throw one in the forge this weekend and try to dislodge the tip. They will become some kind of tool. Won't know till I heat one and beat it.

Mark<><

• 2 weeks later...

They are also used on grader blades called scarifiers. The tips are carbide and can not be forged. If they are brazed on then they will come off when you heat them in the forge. I tried. The steel is some pretty good steel. I don't know what.
Gobbler
[/quote

I threw one of the milling teeth into the fire today. Before I knew it the carbide tip had fallen off never to be seen again. The main body of the tip is really hard. I made a small tool today with it.

Mark<><