I Forge Iron

Bone Yard episode

To the fellow that has a bunch of anything, you find a use for it.
To the fellow that has none of the same thing, it seems a weird use of the material.

I want to see the ideas they have so I can apply new uses to the stuff I have. (grin)

Wouldn't think that RR rail would have the break away needed for road sign posts these days. Seems like overkill and a waste of high carbon steel when low carbon would work. Out this away they are used a lot for cattle guards where the strength and wear resistance is a plus. Of course I live in a Free Range county (if you don't want cattle on your land you have to fence them out---the owners do not have to fence them in.

Wouldn't think that RR rail would have the break away needed for road sign posts these days. Seems like overkill and a waste of high carbon steel when low carbon would work. Out this away they are used a lot for cattle guards where the strength and wear resistance is a plus. Of course I live in a Free Range county (if you don't want cattle on your land you have to fence them out---the owners do not have to fence them in.

I lived in a similar environment when I was stationed at Mountain Home AFB. It does seem like a waste but at least they are not buying steel from other countries.

Thomas, I think he meant they were re-rolling scrap rail into smaller sections, not using it as-is. I have seen mills buy worn out rail by the hundreds of miles for quality products. It is very uniform, high quality scrap.

Correct! They would send one rail through an oven then it goes through several drawing machines and at the same time a water jet blows the slag off. Think oven, drawing machine, water jet, oven over and over again until a rr track is small enough to make a T-post!! Really cool to watch. It was similiar to a video posted on here a while back showing a long molten metal shaft missing it's track and flailing out on the plant floor.