I Forge Iron

good beginner anvil

Well, an anvil is a block of metal that you work against. It does not need to look like a "London" or "European" pattern with a horn and overhanging heel. You do not *need* hardy or pritchel holes (although they are darn nice to have)

Now, if you have scrap yards that sell to the public, go pick up a block of steel that weighs about 100# (45kg) or more. If you can get something interesting like a rail car coupler then you are in better shape. If you somehow luck into a block of tool steel then you are set for life possibly. Rail track is good, you want to clean an end up and stand it up. Having a piece about a foot long that you can turn and flip around is a decent idea too, as there are a lot of shapes on a rail, and you can use all of them. Avoid cast iron in general. You *should* get out of the yard for around $50 with some practice metal too.

Now, what is not an anvil is interesting too. The cast iron objects have horn heel and hardy, but are so soft you may as well use a paver or rock in your yard (the stone will give better rebound) These are ASO's or Anvil Shaped Objects.

If you HAVE to have a pattern anvil then you need to search around, ask EVERYBODY and tell them you are looking. Search Craigslist, and educate yourself on what a good anvil is. You will also need cash. Decent anvils go for $1-$2/pound for good deals or beaten up specimens to $10+/pound (but you can't just ask for 10# of anvil please like ordering cheese) By networking you may get an anvil that was someone's grandfather's for less because it will be used.

Good luck.

Phil

Hey Patrick,

Like Phil said, Let everyone you meet, know you are looking for an anvil, everyone. There is no such thing as telling too many people. You never know where one might pop up from.
My first anvil was a piece of RR track. My second was a train coupler knuckle. My next was an anvil that was given to me by someone that heard I was looking for one.
Both the RR track and the coupler met my needs and are still in use for certain things. Never overlook a possible anvil just because it doesn't look like an anvil.

Good luck.

Mark<><

Hey Patrick,

Like Phil said, Let everyone you meet, know you are looking for an anvil, everyone. There is no such thing as telling too many people. You never know where one might pop up from.
My first anvil was a piece of RR track. My second was a train coupler knuckle. My next was an anvil that was given to me by someone that heard I was looking for one.
Both the RR track and the coupler met my needs and are still in use for certain things. Never overlook a possible anvil just because it doesn't look like an anvil.

Good luck.

Mark<><

my dad has a piece of RR track but there rounded at the top aren't they

Some well used tracks are rounded off but you can also stand one up on end, drive it into the ground depending on its length. It gives you a smaller area but many sharp angles, Experiment, use the track your dad has, it is better than using a rock.

Mark<><

So?

Being perfectly flat is not as useful as it gets made out to be. Get a "stump" so the "face" is between you knuckles of your loosely clenched fist and your wrist bone. Fasten it down in a secure manner.

There is a sound argument that the cut end is a better working surface since more mass in under the hammer, and you can dress the edges easily. Since track is often flame cut there may be a lot of grinding involved though.

Phil