I Forge Iron

Trenton Question

Greetings from Salem Oregon and I am very new to this group. I teach Middle School shop class, yes there is still shop class in parts of America where our youth can cut and bang away on wood and metal and walk away with most of their skin intact. Anyway, I just bought an old Trenton anvil and I would love to know its age. I know there is a book by Postman that has a chart or some way of matching the serial number from the anvil to its age. I just don't have this. Here is what I know. The anvil has a clear diamond Trenton logo with USA stamp under it. The numbers/letters "W 206" followed by A 23264 are on the front base under the horn. In the back under the Hardy hole is stamped "LL" which I understand may be the man's initials who founded/cast the anvil.
Can any of you inform me of its age and perhaps who cast/made this anvil. It has a few chips on the edges of the face but no swayback to the face at all. I paid $135.00 for the anvil and it came with a rolling stand an axe like blade attachment that fits into the Hardy hole and two old tongs that look like Noah used them on the Ark. Can't wait to get the hammers ringing on this beauty. I'll try to get a photo or two,as if you all need to see yet another old anvil. Thanks for any help here.

P.S. "Count your fingers before and after each cut on a table saw to make sure you don't have to sift through the sawdust at the end of a job." Red Green

Bryan in Salem

NOTE: I've uploaded some pictures of the anvil and its ID numbers. I had the kids scotch bite wheel the rust off and we will wire brush the rest and put a clear coat on it when it's all gleaming. They love to remove rust and this anvil was a rusty one when I brought her in. Looks much better now.

post-20297-0-56972800-1302621915_thumb.j

post-20297-0-08087400-1302621931_thumb.j

post-20297-0-53603000-1302621955_thumb.j

post-20297-0-53773700-1302621972_thumb.j

post-20297-0-54945700-1302621989_thumb.j

post-20297-0-42215700-1302622023_thumb.j

post-20297-0-25308900-1302622050_thumb.j

post-20297-0-44873900-1302622363_thumb.j

Bryan
Unfortunately, Anvils in America doesn't list the serial #s per say. I didn't read the entire chapter word for word (which often is required to glean a great deal of knowledge about any particular anvil) but near as I can understand, Trentons were made by the Columbus Forge and Iron Co of Columbus Ohio as late as the 1940s. However, their serial #s by then had 6 digits. If yours is truly 5 digits it must be much older. Trenton Vise and Tool Works, the original company(?) went out of business in the 1890s and Columbus F&I Co. kept the name. I suspect the W 206 suggests the anvil's weight in pounds as most if not all American made anvils had their weight stamped in pounds rather than the European system of "stone weight". If it is a 200# anvil and in good shape, and you got it (as well as a stand) for $135.00, you sir, STOLE that anvil :D Nice acquisition!!!. But to be sure, we need pictures! We love pictures ;). BTW, The "axe" shaped thingy is a hot cut used, surprisingly, to cut steel while hot :P. Do not leave it in the hardy when done lest you leave a digit or two on the face of the anvil while hammering on your next project!!!
Hope this helps.

Scott

Shop Teacher: Strange as it may seem-YES we all still love seeing "another old anvil".. I'm near you in Deadwood Oregon. If you log on to NWBA (Northwest Blacksmith Assoc.) you will see that we are having a BIG Western States Conference in August in Mt. Hood. You have to go to it if you really have an interest. Demos,Hands on classes,Gallery of unbelievable forged items. One of best parts is the "tailgate"section where folks bring all sorts of blacksmithing guferaw to sell,trade,or show off... You will also find a large number of smiths within 30 minutes of you.. They must have been asleep when you stole that anvil.. Hope to meet you, Eric Sprado. Deadwood ,Oregon. 541 964 3224

• 2 weeks later...