I Forge Iron

miller srh 444 CC/DC

Old N Rusty

we are doing some HEAVY gouging, 1/4" rods 400 amps, ingersol diesel flavor depressed air. Am i killing my machine? our only feasible alternative is the lincoln.. (spit).. CLASSIC 200 sitting on a rig truck, but i think i will have to kill my "partner in crime" who calls himself a pipeliner to use the lousy lincoln... ( spit)....thing. A name like that it must be a yankee machine and couldnt take the HEAT

OK, let me guess...you don't like Lincolns, right? 1/4" gouging rods are NOT big rods and if you are using a 400amp machine you should be OK, just give it a breath every now and then. BTW, the 'Classic 200' would be a little stressed to do it anyway. I have a 1964 Lincoln Red Face SA200 that was load tested at 280amps and the guy said with a little 'tweeking' he could get 300amps out of it. I also have a Miller TrailBlazer. But if I ever need to do any air arcing I will RENT a machine to do it. (and not tell them what I am doing!) I will not do gouge with either of my portable machines.

The best machine for this is an old Lincoln 'bullet' genarator machine---they are 600amp machines and I have used 1/2" gouging rods (back gouging seams on pressure vessels) with them and they never check up. You just can't find them any more.

Mr. dean i knew (back in 01)where three bullets are here in Baton Rouge you want one? they was $100 each, cause no oe but a plant would want one i am sure mine is the only welding shop where a machine sits on, but not welding. and who can stand the noise? leave one of them on and be suprised when the electric bill comes.

I am with Thomas on this one, if I were doing much gouging I would go rent a machine Sam 400 would do nice. As long as you are not doing too much your Miller- (hawk- spit) should be ok
Thomas- I have a red face also around that same year they are great machines, there was a short hood crank start for sale here- had to look the other way- laid off again at $700 I would have jumped on that if I had a job

Mr. dean i knew (back in 01)where three bullets are here in Baton Rouge you want one? they was $100 each, cause no oe but a plant would want one i am sure mine is the only welding shop where a machine sits on, but not welding. and who can stand the noise? leave one of them on and be suprised when the electric bill comes.

Please! It's Tommy or TDean or TD but not MR. Dean....makes me feel old.
I agree, they are LOUD!! shoot, there's #100 worth of copper in one of them! Don't really need one, kinda welding machine poor right now, with the 2 mentioned above I also have a 250X MillerMatic wire machine and a Miller Syncrowave 200. Beside that I would have to pack my elect. meter in ice to keep it from burning up just so I could start one of those big boys.

• 10 years later...