I Forge Iron

23" dao

Hello Everyone,

this is what I have really been working on for the last 2-3 weeks, with periodic breaks to make the full-tangs.

This is a GIFT to a friend who is retiring. It will be named "Brainslicer" since he is a bio-psychologist. He is also a Viet Nam vet and has practiced Japanese and Chinese martial arts since the late 60's. He will really be thrilled with this.

This is far from "perfect" and nothing like what many of you can make. Still, this one came out better than I expected it could.

W2 steel (thanks Aldo)
22.5" working length
1.37" wide at shoulders, 1.26" wide just before tip
.30" thick at ridge at shoulders, .24" just befor tip.

this blade is light - it weighs 1.48lb.
10" tang, for now.
Last 3.5", the secondary bevel is "scraping sharp."

There is a pic of the clay layout in there, too. This formed a hamon closer to the edge than I expected, but with a lot of utsuri from partial hardening. I used semichrome when polishing, and this made the utsuri a lot harder to see. I may just stick to sandpaper in the future.

the first link should take you to picasa. You will see larger pics if you click on the link.

https://picasaweb.google.com/115247891742386906523/DaoForJim#

thanks for looking. Comments encouraged. I learn from y'all.

Kevin

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Very nice sword --- I have make my with 1095 steel -- your picture were very attempted for me to try the clay temper.

Some folk told me the temperature should be around 1400 degree, but I am not sure -- so many different story. The clay can be thin from the edge and thick on the top.

I am thinking for my next one -- I will do the sanmai technique -- hard steel 1095 outside and the soft steel 15n20 is in inside ( I have home made power hammer ).

Anyone have any suggestions

Thank you in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Very nice sword --- I have make my with 1095 steel -- your picture were very attempted for me to try the clay temper.

Some folk told me the temperature should be around 1400 degree, but I am not sure -- so many different story. The clay can be thin from the edge and thick on the top.

I am thinking for my next one -- I will do the sanmai technique -- hard steel 1095 outside and the soft steel 15n20 is in inside ( I have home made power hammer ).

Anyone have any suggestions

Thank you in advance.

no suggestions just some info for another attempt at a later time for you: wumei or five plates. :)