I Forge Iron

Hey

ngneer

Hey folks, from east central Alabama, linked to this site a day or so ago and haven't left except for bed. On such a beautiful day I was inside reading and searching this site. Total noob I am, but did score a NC tool forge the other day, guy was gettin out of the horse biz and let it go for near nothing, haven't fired it up yet. No tools or anything.Was hoping to get gas for it today, couldn't get away from this computer. Enjoy auto wrenching, thats a must,I have a 70 VW bug hope to rebuild starting this summer, so wrenching on it is a must. Also a92 Chevy PU, that I've sorta customized over the years, anyway love the site, lookin forward to reading and learning, am a member on other sites, VW, Chevy stuff, and know the search feature well, lookin forward to that as well. O yeah, 51yr. ol lookin to learn, Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there Ngneer,
Welcome to IFI. Great place to learn. I'm a 52 yr old that started when I was 51, never too late to learn. There are, as you've seen, a lot of knowledgable people here that are more than willing to help and pass on their brain matter. Tons of beginner projects and just as many professional projects. On tuesday nites at 10pm eastern in the chat room (at the top of the page) there are held BP's. Blue Prints. Glenn, or in his absense another wise old smithing sage, will post plans on how to make things, improve things and just plain ol enrich your blacksmithing knowledge.
Well enough typing, I'm going out to light the forge.

Mark<><

Most of the old parts from any and all vehicles you work on can be use in blacksmithing. Break drums, rotors, for forges, axles, springs, for the steel, and on and on and on. Leave the push rods and valves alone as they are reported to be filled with things that can get nasty. Yes even the horn and wiring and lamps (bulbs) can be used in the shop. Please alter (read change) your reference to a scrap pile of old rusted parts and things. It is now the Resource Center. You will go to it often for both resource metals and ideas.

We try to warn folks about IForgeIron. We suggest they pack a lunch and a cold drink before they go to the site. You already know why (grin).

Pack a lunch and a cold drink, then click on the pages tab at the top of the forum, then click on pages again on the right hand column. Tie a string to the computer chair so you can find your way back. (BIG GRIN).

Welcome to IForgeIron.