I Forge Iron

No Need for Input Here?

I too was going to offer some help with Alan's anvil trouble but I felt that he really did not want the help but rather wanted to argue about the advice given to him.

I also thought Andrew's comment was very abrasive about not questioning the Admin. I know it was not directed at me but ever since I read it I can't get it out of my head that I feel like I have just entered a dictatorship where I am told what I can and can not do.

I just hope the air will clear and we can get back to doing what we do best, beating steel.

Merry Christmas to all.

About the "edit" right of the author of a message: could we have a message that would be editable within a limited period of time only, and after that limit, and for the sake of the intelligibility of a thread, the message couldn't be modified?
If one realizes ones message is not correctly formulated, one will modify it within few days. It wouldn't make sense to change ones message after others' answered that particular message.

If the feature is not available, it should be invented.

I forgot who said this:

"Your freedom stops where the other's starts."

Applied here, one is not free to alter the IFI community's freedom to have an integral and undamaged access to the knowledge database.

Ludo

I just want to say that this site has been wonderful as I am getting into smithing.

I helped my older brother make a rose last night (first time he has mashed glowing steel) and he is talking about 'next time' and 'next year' already. The rose turned out great and my bro did most of the work. There were a few times I took the hammer to give the piece a little more brute force (bro is a less accurate and more awkward with the hammer than I) to help him but for the most part, he forged most of the bud and the leaf. He was getting tired by the time we got to the stem so we used a bit that I was working on earlier. I welded the whole thing up and brushed it and now we just need to shoot it with clear. I will be posting pics of his rose and the rose I am making for Mom.

Anyhoo.. where was I.. I enjoyed seeing him liking the smithing and I think he was impressed with himself when we finished. This site (and anvilfire) has enabled me to do something that I enjoy and also lit the pilot light in my brother so thanks to all who contribute.
I wouldn't worry too much about one person's input but it would be cool to get it back (if someone wanted to spend the time - I could if I had the information and ability on the site)

Everyone also needs to remember that whenever you are chatting (especially on the internet) you will find people that have different opinion than you. Take it only as far as the chair you sit in right now. Don;t let it eat you all day. Things pass with time.. it was unfortunate that Alan (never knew him.. but a mind mine for input nonetheless) took it too personal with a closed mind. If you post on the internet, you must have an open mind.

I think I said what I wanted to say.. mainly "thanks" for the great resource. I will post pics (might have to be after christmas) as I know we all love pics.

One more thing.. I was in the chatroom Tuesday and asking about a few things and everyone was very kind and helpful. We got into forges and it was very informative. It is nice to see that everyone didn't mind a newbie coming in and asking questions.

Thanks.

Glen I wouldn't use the bricklayer analogy as a bricklayer is paid for his work. Once he is paid he has no "rights" to it.

How about a Barnraising---a community effort where everyone contributes to the extent they can whether it is a precision crafted mortoise and tennon joint or merely hauling timber where the more experienced folk ask. You do a barn raising because you help your neighbors; more than likely they will end up helping you back someday; but if the balance is still on your side it's still OK cause that is what good folks do! If you later get on the outs with the barn owner; well you did it for the comunity; not for the individual.

(This last summer I figured how to get into my neighbors yard and get a tractor through their locked gate so we could prevent their house from flooding by ditching through a berm to shift water to a lower spot---they were not home at the time and were quite thankfull that their neighbors had looked out for them)