I Forge Iron

Hammer question

I have no experience with a hammer, but I have a chance to get a old belt driven hammer from my neighbor that is in their old blacksmith shop. It is old, but in good condition. There is a shaft in the ceiling that a belt went to the shaft to the hammer. Can this be converted to a motor. If so it would be a good addition to my shop. If anyone has any experience in doing this I would greatly appreciate any information on how this works. Thank you very much for your help! Frank

If you don't have a power hammer, it will be a great addition to your shop.

You can readily convert to a motor, you will need to build a mount for the motor as well as determine the horsepower required, and the ratio to determine the pulley diameter. If you know the ram weight, a suitable estimation may be made. Larger rams hit slower than small ones.

There have been a couple of others that have posted topics similar to this one. If you go back in the list, you may be able to get more info from those posts, too. Where are you located? There may be someone close that could give you a hand in the change over. Good find and good luck. :D

Thank you for the advice. I live in Broadview Montana, about 35 miles NW of Billngs. Not sure what brand it is I will have to check. I just had my left knee replaced so it will be a while before I get it moved over. Might be a few months, but cant wait to go to the shop and start to work again.

Yes! No! Maybe? Depending on information you didn't supply. Condition is the determiner with your skills as a machine restorer and skills and access to machine shop equipment as another factor.

If it's in "decent" condition then it can be a goldmine for your shop. (and note that a lot of folks run worn out torn up hammers so just "running" isn't a good clue as to it's state. Sometimes one that has been shut down for 50 years will be in much better shape than one that was under power when you bought it.)

Far better to spend more on one that's in good using condition than pay a pittance for a basket case requiring tons of work---unless you enjoy bringing old machinery back to life and don't have any time constraints on getting it back to work.

If you can tell us what brand it was we probably have someone that knows it and can tell you what to watch out for!

Thank you for the advice. I live in Broadview Montana, about 35 miles NW of Billngs. Not sure what brand it is I will have to check. I just had my left knee replaced so it will be a while before I get it moved over. Might be a few months, but cant wait to go to the shop and start to work again.

Hello, I live in billings and am a full time blacksmith. I have used and worked on several different power hammers. I have a little giant in my shop and am starting a rebuild. I am NOT an authority but I might be able to help get you set up and moving in the right direction. I also have Sid's rebuilding video and would be willing to let you borrow it. It is a great source of information and Sid is the man. I also just like to meet other blacksmiths/ironworkers. Just give me a call. Travis - four0six six7zero 3two5four