I Forge Iron

Before and after hammer photos

Just found these photos. I picked this hammer up around six years ago. It came out of a Mine in New Mexico. I saved it from being scrapped. Unfortunatly I was unable to get anything else before the building and its entire contents were scrapped. This include platten tables, racks of hundreds of tongs, spring tools,and a large Chambersburg. Wish I had had my camera that day, the place looked like the blacksmiths had just laid their tools down and walked out of the shop.

Dan
Tucson, Az.

post-13715-0-93231400-1301621820_thumb.j

post-13715-0-67905300-1301633693_thumb.j

post-13715-0-29892500-1301633723_thumb.j

Well I've learned to look close, and for the most part the hammer was in good shape. The dies that were on it looked custom, a flat spot and two different tapered cuts. They look like dies for sharpening jack hammer bits and had a key-way taper that was different from the original. Luckily the bearings were still good so I didnt have to re-pour them. The bearing caps had been welded shut on top and a grease fitting was installed. Someone had modified the linkage so there was no feathering the clutch. I ended up re-building both treadle rods and the clutch fork. The worst part however was the ram that I had to send to Sid to have the dovetail re-cut. Whoever was running the hammer drove whatever pieces of steel and mis-matched keys in to hold the dies in place, so the dovetail was pretty buggered up. The sow blocks dovetail was clean. I went ahead and sent both the toggle arms and links to Sid as well to be re-welded and drilled. Everything is now tight and the hammer runs smooth.
Next on the list is a Nazel, I would love to find a one piece 2-B although I'm not sure what critical areas to look at that can end up being costly to repair.
Dan

Your the man Dan! This a sweet hammer! It looks even better in person.

Thanks Harold. This one is my best hammer so far. I like the design of the ram guides on these newer style hammers. I think this one is a keeper. How's your 25# LG coming along?
Dan

Thanks Harold. This one is my best hammer so far. I like the design of the ram guides on these newer style hammers. I think this one is a keeper. How's your 25# LG coming along?
Dan

Well I have given it a place of honor in the shop. I have not had much time to work on it yet but it will happen soon.