I Forge Iron

wasted heat for generating electricity?

Mortimer

Hello all, I'm rebuilding a forge in southern England and wondered if I can harness any of the wasted forge heat to generate a small amount of electricity to run some low voltage lighting. Has anyone installed a small vertical steam turbine or hot air turbine in their forge flue or even a horizontal stirling engine over the flue entrance? I do not have any power in the forge and spend enough on coke only to see most of its energy go up in smoke...I know of one chap that has a gravitational operated heating system warming his second floor in winter but that about it. I know large steam boilers require certificates but I'm not planning on shoving a traction engine up the flue..... Any ideas would be most welcome, cheers.Mort.

Most of the stirling engine sites I used to visit are in Europe, and are now blocked to me. I don't know if this is my ISP or some business/political thing. There are successfull stirling engines, you will likely have better luck researching them than I have. In particular, there are a couple german models, not cheap by any means though. The other option for waste forge heat would be thermo-electric generators, or TEGs. They are reliable, relativly easy to install, much cheaper than a stirling engine, but still not cheap. You should be able to google TEDs and find manufacturers. MIT, here in Mass has made some dramatic breakthroughs in TEG efficiency in the last few years, don't know whether they have hit the market yet.

Thanks for the swift input guys, most appreciated. The forge is in a deep, wooded valley and so wind and solar would not be efficient to any degree. I like the TEG idea and will look into having a TEG lined flue maybe....Cheers, Mort.

While conducting experiments with heat exchangers on the chimney of a normally aspirated wood stove, I found that there is indeed a limit to the amount of heat you can extract. The limit point was reached when the chimney stopped drawing (read no draft). I have numbers for the temperature of the exhaust, vs the surface area of the heat exchanger, vs type of fuel, etc etc, (for my setup) but the bottom line is it was necessary to waste some heat in order to get the fire to burn. I can also tell you the size and shape of all components should (must) be considered. I also found that you can not just scale up and get proportional results.

• 3 weeks later...

Pre-heating your blast air wouldn't make it more efficient. The hot air is less dense, requiring more CFMs to deliver the same amount of oxygen to the fire. The fire doesn't care if the air is hot or cool it just wants the oxygen component.