I Forge Iron

George Washington's Forge

Stumbled on this interesting site ... don't think I have seen a link to it on the IFI Forum:

http://www.mountvern...dex.cfm/sss/98/

... for those of you who haven't seen it, enjoy!

The Blacksmith Shop, located along Mount Vernon’s North Lane, was essential to the operation of the plantation and an important part of George Washington’s business on the plantation and off. Documentary records indicate that as early as 1755 a blacksmith shop was located approximately 200 feet north of the Mount Vernon Mansion. Today, the Shop itself does not survive but letters, account ledgers and other writings provide historical background about the identities of the blacksmiths, the work they performed and tools purchased for the Shop. Very little written evidence talks about the appearance of the Shop, its layout or size. Therefore, archaeological excavations have proven valuable in providing these details.

The wife and I visited Mt Vernon last summer. Very much to see on Ole' George's estate, however I commented on the lack of a smithy among the various outbuildings on the property. The only blacksmith artifacts that were evident were tucked away in the "salting house", where meat was preserved. I took a pix, evident are a swage block, nice old style anvil and if you look in the background a nice great bellows. Hopfully when funds and time permit they will get to reconstructing George's smithy.
Joe B

post-13780-0-59035000-1301263735_thumb.j

I extremely doubt that George swung a hammer. (He did do surveying remember) Having a smithy was just part of the plantation at that time.

Thomas Jefferson had one too and wrote out a complete business plan for a naillery to raise cash when building Montecello, including which slaves would work in it and how many of what types of nails each one would produce in a day. (We still have a copy of his business plan, it's published in his complete writings...)

I went to Jefferson's Monticello two years ago. Jefferson built an industry around nail making. He imported "nail rod" from France. These were rough forged rods of varying length ~ 1/8" in diameter/cross section. He had young slave boys making nails and would sell them. Interesting to note as well that the slaves at Monticello could grow their own crops and chickens in their free time and sell them to Jefferson. In this way they could have their own money and some freedom.

-Derek

The Mount Vernon shop has been reconstructed and in operation for a number of months. There are several UTube videos showing the interior and daily activity. Well worth a look.
One thing which will be noticeable is the small number of tools. This is actually much more representative of a typical 18th century shop.