I Forge Iron

gunsmithing information

1)I have forged a flintlock lock from scratch based on information in the Journal of Historical Arms Technology (JHAT). I would like to discuss same with others who have knowledge on the process as I am pretty rough and slow. I appreciate any referrals.

2) I was browsing blacksmith organization web sites several nights ago and one had gun smithing articles authored by members of the organiztion in their library. It was late so I put off contacting the organization until the next day. I thought it was the BAM (Blacsmiths of Mo.) website but could not get in to their library the next day. I contacted their librarian and she insists they have no gunsmithing info in their library. I must be confused about where I saw the refernces the previous night . I have searched other sites and have not located the material. Do any of you belong to a smithing org that has gunsmithing info available to members. Alternatively, do you know of any books or articles on forging flintlock parts other than the JHAT ?
Thanks for your help.

gday mate ,built a flintlock rifle based on what was called a poor boys rifle ,it was all steel clad and no brass fittings ,didn't turn out to bad ,the butt plate was easy ,the trigger gaurd was forge welded to give finger holds and steel thimbles to hold the ramrod ind place ,love this gun and sort of takes you back when sitting round the glow of the fire ,cant work the photo thing otherwise would send some pics,take care ,glen

I am a member of muzzleloadingforum.com there is a lot of info on there. If you log on you can ask questions and there is a gun building section. There are a lot of knowledgeable builders there and they always seem happy to help out. Jerry P.

I don't know a great deal about your subject, but I ran across an interesting and informative little paperback titled, "The Complete Rehabilitation of the Flintlock Rifle" by T.B. Tryon. It is a collection of old articles that appeared in "The American Rifleman." I see one copy currently for sale at dealoz.com.

I'm sure you're aware of the video "The Gunsmith of Williamsburg" put out by the Williamsburg Foundation, in Virginia.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

There are two books that you can look at Foxfire 5, Book 5 By Eliot Wigginton which discusses making a flintlock rifle, and the other book *might* be The Art of Blacksmithing - Alex W. Bealer, or it might be Practical Blacksmithing by Richardson, but I am not sure.

It's in The Art of Blacksmithing. Jerry P.

I am a member of muzzleloadingforum.com there is a lot of info on there. If you log on you can ask questions and there is a gun building section. There are a lot of knowledgeable builders there and they always seem happy to help out. Jerry P.

Thanks for the recommendations.
I have read Foxfire, Art of Blacksmithing and have books from TOW. There is a small section on lockmaking in the art of Blacksmithing book. I have found no other references re smithing parts. Most cover assembly of a gun. I believe the Herschel House video may cover butt plate forging but not the more difficult lockmaking process.
I posted a similar question on Muzzleblasts (one is posted now) .No one seems to be involved in forging parts.A few replies from people who once forged a lock years ago.
I was hoping the blacksmith organiztions have library material, demonstrations on video, or contacts to people currently involved. No luck so far.
I will try Frank Turleys suggestion and look for the book he recommended.
Thanks,
chichi

The Gunsmith of Grenville County building the American Longrifle by Peter Alexander is by far the best book out there ...his suggestion on making your own locks is to use a kit and or make your own lock plate and use kit parts. the book has a very good chapter on locks and lock tuning. the books of JHAM are the only that I know of that show how to make locks and the tools to make them. cutting and drilling the files would be the only hard part but with modern tools that's not a problem ...sounds like a lot of fun keep us posted

You could try Brad Emig at cabincreek.net. Brad will know how to forge a lock from scratch, he has built guns from parts he forged in his shop. I do not know how much free time he has but you could try. Also try Dixons muzzleloading shop (dixonsmuzzleloading.com) (610)756-6271 Chuck or Gregg should be abale to point you in the right direction. Jerry P.

I googled "Wallace Gusler Retires." Wallace was the original gunsmith at the restored Williamsburg. He's the one featured in the 58 minute video, "The Gunsmith of Williamsburg." The film shows some of the forging of lock parts, but not everything. Your journal of early arms shows that some of the small parts were hot-forge driven into dies, somewhat like larger present-day closed die forging, but on a much smaller scale. I would go see Gusler if I were in Virginia.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

I would suggest Clay Smith formerly a Williamsburg Gunsmith. Clay's website

I have spoken to Clay Smith but he is not set up to take on any teaching. Plus, I am in Wi.and he is in VA. Brad Emig is a fulltime maker and teaches classes but none on forging gun parts.I was hoping to find a library resource or someone who teaches the skill that I could tap without taking away their professional time, and I believe Brad is pretty busy. He is also a long distance away.
I have made a few locks. I am reasonably adept at forging the cock, frizzen, bridle,sear and the springs for the frizzen,sear and main spring. I also forge the pan but forge braze it to the plate along with a piece of bolster material. The only part I dont make the traditional way is the tumbler. I just turn that on a lathe. It has taken several months of making waste and study of the Gunsmith tape with Wallace G. and the JHAT article. I know how to get the job done. I would like to be more efficient and improve aesthetics. I am to the point I dont know what I dont know (to quote our former Sec. of Defense).
Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I have already been down most of these roads.
(I did order the book Frank Turley suggested above).
ChiChi

I have spoken to Clay Smith but he is not set up to take on any teaching. Plus, I am in Wi.and he is in VA. Brad Emig is a fulltime maker and teaches classes but none on forging gun parts.I was hoping to find a library resource or someone who teaches the skill that I could tap without taking away their professional time, and I believe Brad is pretty busy. He is also a long distance away.
I have made a few locks. I am reasonably adept at forging the cock, frizzen, bridle,sear and the springs for the frizzen,sear and main spring. I also forge the pan but forge braze it to the plate along with a piece of bolster material. The only part I dont make the traditional way is the tumbler. I just turn that on a lathe. It has taken several months of making waste and study of the Gunsmith tape with Wallace G. and the JHAT article. I know how to get the job done. I would like to be more efficient and improve aesthetics. I am to the point I dont know what I dont know (to quote our former Sec. of Defense).
Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I have already been down most of these roads.
ChiChi

You might try calling George Suiter at Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, 757-229-1000. He is the current master Gunsmith. They have quite a bit of experience forging lock parts and have studied surviving forging dies, etc. He should be able to give you plenty of information on how to proceed and who to contact.

ChiChi

Bruce Lepage is in Grantsburg, WI. I understand that he is doing mostly engraving now, but he was (is) quite a traditional gunsmith.

You might try calling George Suiter at Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, 757-229-1000. He is the current master Gunsmith. They have quite a bit of experience forging lock parts and have studied surviving forging dies, etc. He should be able to give you plenty of information on how to proceed and who to contact.

I called and left a message. It was late aft. so I did not get a return call, yet.
Thanks for the info.
ChiChi

wow you got me fascinated! please keep us informed on your progress. i know ABSOLUTELY nothing to help you with, sorry, but am so looking foreward to see some pics of your " smoke pole " and hearing "reports" ( sorry for the pun, after all it is APRIL FOOLS DAY) good luck and keeep us posted on progress.