I Forge Iron

Anvil Repair

I have a steel anvil that has all of the edges either rounded or broke off from years of use or misuse. I am not sure which. What is the best way to fix it? Is it better to add weld to the edges and reshape or add a 1" thick steel plate to the top of it? I have never had anything like this done and I don't want the anvil to get tore up. Thank you all in advance.

post-19671-0-30852900-1300887331_thumb.j

The best thing to do with any anvil is to use it just as it is till you rub up against something it can`t do for you in it`s present condition.Once you find that thing it can`t do think about making a solution that will fit in one of the holes it has in it to accommodate top tooling.
If you find you absolutely need a sharp,square corner for some types of work and a top tool won`t do the trick for whatever reason then,and only then,would I think about welding or grinding that anvil which is probably at least twice as old as you are and most likely still has a ton of work left in it just as it is.
In summary;Work it till you can`t work it no more,then work around it.
Rework is an advanced technique,should be done as a last resort and then only done by competent hands.This is NOT the place to learn as you go,you`ll do more harm than good.

I've got an old smithing book which advises you that when you first get a *new* anvil with sharp edges the first thing you do is to round them off so they don't put cold shuts in your work. A lot of new folk when they get an anvil it seems the first thing they want to do is to make the edges sharp.

Anyway if you *MUST* re-work the edges look up the Gunter method of anvil repair and follow it to the letter! Only time you would even think of trying to weld a new plate on would be when the old plate was ground or milled too thin by some ignorant SOB who wanted the face dead flat and "pretty". In that case a full penetration weld is suggested with follow up heat treat and it would probably by easier and cheaper to find and buy an anvil in better condition to start with!

It don't look all that bad, but if you must have sharp,square corners perhaps you can just make a saddle for you anvil and use that when you want a "nice square corner". It isn't all that often that a sharp, square corner is called for in smithing. And it is correct that the corners of a new anvil need to be rounded off some or they too will chip and break off. Sharp and square are not all that desirable on an anvil face they do tend to break and with full time work will become just as round as your old boy shown in the picture. The only anvil with sharp corners is a new one or one little used. :rolleyes: