I Forge Iron

Two short cutlass in the works

GregDP

I would say "primitive vigor" describes most of my work; I'm no master artisan but I've made great strides and hope to continue. You're absolutely right about the weight it's forged from a horse shoe and railway spring clip and is a bit thicker than it will be finished. I feel the hand guard is a bit sloppy although solid. My original concept was to forge weld a twisted hand guard to the bottom of the handle bent bladeward. The weld was poor though. :( I've never put a decent edge on anything over 8 inches. I'm ashamed to say creating a consistent edge is far from easy for me. Thanks for the taking a look.

how about forging out the very end of the knuckle bow into a rat tail and then winding it back around the knucklebow a couple of times to make that joint?

As for long blades---helps to have large sharpening stones 4" wide and a foot long will let you do a clean end to end sweep on a pretty good sized blade...

Now there is another use for horse shoes, hand guards. The grip sure looks a mite uncomefortable but maybe not since I haven't put my hand to it. I think you may give Mr. Power's suggestion a try. That chain maille sure looks good, well different anyway. Both are down and dirty primitive fighting blades. :blink:

Aye if I had a dime for every tool I wanted.. well I then I'd probably never run out of tools or money. Always a new toy am I right? I'm going to try a piece of 'marble' tile and sand paper any tips? I keep going back to the angle and belt sander at the moment as hand sanding reveals imperfections. I prefer hammering and forging far more than grinding but I break up the monotony by splitting my time between several projects at a time.post-19492-0-98220200-1300913507_thumb.j

The old saying of "If wishes were horse we'd all ride" really means "If wishes were horse we'd all be up to our necks in horse pooh", I'm the same way with tools or was until a nice fellow purchased most all of my smithing tools now I don't need to worry about that. I usually buy my sand paper at Ace Hardware or if I'm not feeling wealthy at Harbor Freight where I buy the big rolls of 1" wide cloth, great stuff for hand use on a stick. What is the "marble" tile use for? :blink:

What is the "marble" tile use for? :blink:
So I can work in my lap not standing at my workbench. The surface is smooth enough to hold the sand paper firmly with a mist of water and it's nice and flat.

A note on the mail hand guard it makes for a nice dead blow sort of effect when you swing it. Kind of like a wiffleball bat filled with water.

A marble window sill would be better for pasting a long strip to...say 18-24 inches long, then you use it on a bench. You can also call around about a cutout for a sink from some granite counter top. A tile without a backing may be too thin to support sandpaper pasted to it if you get vigorous about it, so put it on some plywood. Gluing is your choice.

I have a piece of a granite block that was ground flat for lapping and such. It is about 2 inch thick, 12x18. Works good, though I never sharpened a sword on it.

Phil

The hand guard was loosened during the hardening process. I wasn't surprised and it was an easy fix with two nails cut down and two holes on either side of the hilt peened into place and a few galvanized wire cold forged to wedges. Had I done this before they'd have been loosened too. Pictures later. Thanks for the tile tips, you can see the green counter tile I was referring to under the cutlass and sand paper for those curious.

i am really loving the look of these blades. If i remember the guard on a cutlass or more often a cavalry saber resembled a stirrup quite closely. a horseshoe seems just as practical. though i think the riveted was a good call. much easier then trying to forge weld it together. maybe next time put it on after heat treatment of blade. one question i had was are you using butted mail or is your mail riveted?

I'm really glad you appreciate my taste. I've yet to complete anything out of riveted mail yet; although I have been amassing rings and would like to eventually. I haven't finished sanding and polishing either cutlass they're both soaking in vinegar at the moment. But I have some progress pictures. I've been working on both between heats on another project. So I'll toss a teaser of it up if anyone is interested to see more I'll be happy to oblige.

Before going in the oven:
post-19492-0-04386400-1301079619_thumb.j

Before going into the forge. I wet the blade and then paint in with a charcol dust, wood, ash water and clay slurry. I use wet paper to hold and mold a thicker mixture along the fuller and spine. Then I drop ash and charchol dust over the paper and shake off the excess till it's coated. You should be able to feel the edge of the blade through the paper. The idea is to have the whole blade in the forge while not hardening the entire blade when quenched to make it a little less 'tempermental' :rolleyes: while preventing scaling.
post-19492-0-00529100-1301079481_thumb.j

Still in the finishing stage.
post-19492-0-39662400-1301079250_thumb.j

Thanks, and a teaser.
post-19492-0-22146600-1301079537_thumb.j

Like a clear epoxy or polyurethane varnish? I wouldn't have to worry as much about the wedges vibrating loose over time if played with too roughly. It seems secure through testing but something that may serve better than a wax or oil based finish. If it dries yellowish it may only add to the effect. Thank you Tiapan.

PS since you seemed to be interested in chainmail maybe you'd like this:
post-19492-0-07136500-1301165533_thumb.j

Now that took some time. I tried my hand ant making mail before and just did not have the patience for the constant crimping and cutting, just too repetitive for me. so as soon as i get some time and my leather tanning up and running i am planning on doing some brigadine style work.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a few photo's. I haven't taken one since it's last acid bath. I'll get one eventually but I like how the etch has turned out. My fiance and I are having a pirate themed wedding and I'm arming us both :D . No shotgun involved. She won't let me see her yet in her wedding garb but she enjoyed playing with these and let me take some pictures.
post-19492-0-61393700-1303014130_thumb.j
post-19492-0-32200400-1303014233_thumb.j
post-19492-0-33253400-1303014253_thumb.j
post-19492-0-45335800-1303014863_thumb.j
post-19492-0-53689400-1303014924_thumb.j
post-19492-0-53689400-1303014924_thumb.j

She's wonderful and is doesn't mind being used for my shameless self promotion. I know she's a beautiful girl, but remember she's also my future wife.

I'll be updating eventually with my second cutlass. I hope it doesn't take too long to wrap up, but I have several irons in the fire. If it does I may create another thread eventually.

post-19492-0-82660600-1303014901_thumb.j

I'm afraid that I still haven't figured out the handle yet. I won't be ginding it down any further because it started to crack while working. It's odd shaped U shaped clips I save from withering away to nothing by taking long back breaking trips every so often.. I hate to see anything go to waste. I'm not sure what TYPE of steel it is but I notice to day while working with another large knife out of the same kind of stock that it could very well be air hardened. While my "Land lubber" cutlass (as I've started to call the one with the horse shoe) it was heated to yellow/orange along the edge and brine quenched. In my knives I like to pack them into a coffee can with a playsand/motor oil mix. Certainly makes me feel better. This one I had planed to use a wheel barrel with redclay,unscented kittie litter and water. Thickly mixed. With out really knowing anything other than a high carbon spark pattern it's been hit or miss and I just keep notes and hope for the best. I don't really want anyone ever using these particular blades so it'll be OK either way.